uhhhh......?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ravencreek, Jan 23, 2009.

1. ravencreek

ravencreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Benton TN
    Ok now that I have your attention I have a few questions.

First, I want to have many different breeds of chickens but not sure which breeds are compatable. We are in the moving process and once the pen is finished it will be 75ft long and 50ft wide with 2 8x8 roosting/nesting sheds.

Second, I only want one rooster period. Not one PER breed just a single rooster.

Now the rooster is going to be a Turken. So that being said my third question is.......What are the odds of him breeding the hens and the chicks turning out to have the naked necks?

On a side note here:
    Should I go ahead and have 2 roosters for that many hens or stick to my origional idea that one rooster is enough?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  2. chickmamawannabe

chickmamawannabe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Canby, Or-y-gun
    How many hens do you want? I don't think you mentioned that detail. [​IMG]

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

One rooster is enough. Might not get 100% fertility from the one rooster if you have more than maybe 20 hens or so, but two roosters you may risk infighting. Some can work it out, some can't. It's often luck of the draw. Raise a few and pick your favorites.

I am not sure, but I want to say the naked neck gene is dominant, so all offspring will have it. Don't quote me on that though since I can't stand the NN's myself!

As for mixing. Mix away. Just keep them all about the same size. meaning, adult weights around the same. Avoid mixing a 14 ounce seabright, with a 10lb jersey giant.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    NN Roo. You certain?

What about a Blue Ameraucana?

5. ravencreek

Nov 10, 2008
    Benton TN
    oops I deleted the part where I am planning on 22-25 hens...I'm not really familiar with ALL the breeds yet so I am just learning. I do know that I don't want bantams. My husband calls them useless chickens. Eggs are too small to eat and they aren't worth the time you spend cleanin them. Almost like quail. His words, not mine. So we will be sticking wit hyour standard breeds. I like the fancy chickens like Turkens. I also wanted to get some of those curly looking chickens but not real sure if they come in a standard size. I have only seen them as the bantam.

6. chickmamawannabe

chickmamawannabe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Canby, Or-y-gun
    I like Turkens, I think they're cute. [​IMG] I've also heard that the naked neck gene is dominant.

edited for spelling

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  7. ravencreek

Nov 10, 2008
    Benton TN
    I already have the NN roo. I also have a NN hen and an....Easter Egger? I honestly have NO idea what kind of chicken she is.

8. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    If youre going to have 22 to 25 hens, you should go with 2 roos. If youre wanting the eggs for hatching. [​IMG]
    Oh and knocking bantams?????? Thats mean...........J/K [​IMG] I love mine.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2009
  9. ravencreek

Nov 10, 2008
    Benton TN
    I want the chickens to hatch them. Old School like. Since thats what they are supposed to do. So I guess I need to go with breeds that enjoy doing just that. So anyone have any suggestions as to what breeds I should look into? I am open to all breeds. The weirder the better. I thought about some of those top hat chickens but they are a lighter body than the NN. Or at least I think they are. These will be multipurpose chickens. We are gonna eat some of them, the eggs and have them reproduce and raise their own. Like they did in the old days.

10. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Turkins are broody, New Hampshire Reds, Jersey Giants, Buff Orpington, Australorps, Speckled Sussex, Black Sumatras, and cochins are all usually very broody.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by