Uhmm, Whats wrong with my duck? If anyting

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ZoeS95423, Jun 7, 2011.

1. ZoeS95423

ZoeS95423 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Okay, So I got this black female Cayuga (and male) from a family friend, and when I first got her, she was very beat up looking. This was almost a month ago, and she still is. I thought it was from the fact the guy thought he had 3 females and 1 male, but it was vice versa. So I gave him some females for a pair of these guys. Anyway, Her feathers are very greasy looking, and her wings are ALWAYS twitching. She will not swim, but she does clean herself, or I will spring the hose, and she will clean her self then. But her feathers look greasy, and she has this blad spot on the back of her neck ( again think its from her being an only female and getting bred all the time) But those haven't grown back. When I take pictures of it you cant really tell how greasy she looks, But I will post some picks anyways. She eats normally, and drinks normally, forages with the others, acts like a duck. Just looks.... well ugly... :-/

She is the one in the back, you can only see her head ( and her bald spot)
    [​IMG]

and you cant really tell how bad her feathers look in this. But its worth a shot..

[​IMG]

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    The bald spot is from breeding and is normal. As for the rest, some ducks have defective oils glands and can't keep their feathers in good condition. It would also be a good idea to check her for mites.

3. ZoeS95423

ZoeS95423 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Well, She is one of the hardest ducks I have to catch, but I was thinking about it.... If she had mites wouldnt the male I got her with have mites? They have been together their entire life...? But I will deffinatly check her. Just because I dont want all my other ducks to get mites!

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Your boy and your crested do look pretty sleek and healthy. I would still check just to make sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by