uhmmm ikky porch!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Saltiena, Dec 30, 2007.

1. Saltiena

Saltiena Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Peach Bottom
    Okay as of now i have cleaned chickend crap from 20 chickens off of my cute little porch for a little over a month, it threr any reason that my chickens wont go back into ther coop...i mean they used to go in w/out me even trying to heard them. i trryed leaving them in the pen for about a week, and i tryed getting new hay everything completly cleaning out the coop,a dn still nothing. i went as far as to put more food int her and put it all the wqay at the backk of the coop sothat they had to go in to get it, any ideas how to get them bac home?

2. JenniferJoIN

JenniferJoIN Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    I've found that they all willingly go back in the coop if I have a bowl of treats. (Usually rice mixed with yogurt) I would say "here chick chick" when they were younger and I gave them treats, so now I say that and have a bowl of rice/yogurt and they follow me right back in.

Sometimes there will be a scraggler running around, but one is easier to catch than 20! [​IMG]

3. Saltiena

Saltiena Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Peach Bottom
    thnk you for that i dea. i mean we tried that tho, i mean well try again, god knows well do anything so i guess rice and yogert will do tonite [​IMG]
    anything else?

4. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    Wait until they're roosting and pick them up and put them in there.

5. Xtradust

Xtradust Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Orange, CA
    If I leave the coop/run door open, they won't go back until they are ready to roost.

I had a few chickens once that didn't like to go into the coop and wanted to roost on my fence. I never did break them of that habit. I just threw a little cracked corn into the coop before they headed up on the fence and they would run right in. I only needed to close the door behind them.

I have a friend who can't get his chickens into the coop at night, but he gives them free-choice cracked corn, so he has nothing to bribe them with at night.

I give my chickens plenty of treats, but I only give them corn when I need them to do something.

6. Dodgegal79

Dodgegal79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2007
    Princeton BC Canada
    I have a group that goes in the coop and the other group go onto my porch. I've got lots of poop on that porch, and if you go to the washroom at night the rooster see the light and starts crowing. Oh the joys of chickens. [​IMG]

7. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    Make sure that NO ONE is giving them treats on the porch.

8. johnnyjack

johnnyjack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    usa
    Quote:lol [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by