UHOH.... I think there may have been a mix up...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sunket77, May 12, 2010.

1. sunket77

sunket77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    right now I am hatching japanese bantams and nakins... so far only 2 have hatched and well I think some eggs got crossed!! first we got a jap out of an egg that said "jap" (these are my own eggs from my own chickens) now I get very excited because a nankin was hatching out of an egg marked "nan" (I marked them all myself as I collected them) we didn't get any out of the last batch:( well the chick is finally out low and behold... it's solid black! [​IMG] OH MY! I keep thinking maybe it's a jap egg marked wrong but the shell is totally the wrong color! The nankin hen has gone back and forth sharing a coop with some black crested white polish hens and the nankin roosters. The only thing I can think of is maybe I picked up a polish egg on accident and this is some cross of nankin and polish (totally not intended to hatch this cross!) there is absolutely no sign of a crest. and it has a strait comb from what I can tell. The nankin hen was bred with a rc and a sc roo. so if it had a rose comb I could be sure. [​IMG] this is just weird!! There was only one egg I questioned to whether or not it was a polish egg or nankin egg and it had a "?" on it and this was not that egg. [​IMG] WOW I will have to post pics after its out of the bator maybe you guys can help me firgure this out!

2. sunket77

sunket77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    ok I looked and the little one does have a rose comb...which basically tells me nothing accept the rose comb nankin was the father.... this is so frustrating I am on day 22 and still just the 2 chicks and no pips .... and this one looks like is has crooked toes! I gotta figure out what causes this!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by