Uht ohhh.Did my ears deceive me, or was that a cockadoodledoo!?!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by So Cal Chick'ns, Jul 15, 2011.

1. So Cal Chick'ns

So Cal Chick'ns Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2011
    RSM
    Help...I have this beautiful little BR, and she (Willemina Faye) is now "sounding" like she could be a he! Or maybe I was imagining it...afterall, my family thought I went a little nutty when I said I wanted chickens! I live in So Cal where the county/city ordinance says backyard chickens allowed, and my homeowner's association says NOT! Therefore, I need REALLY quiet chickens (I foster canine litters and my neighbors are used to peeking over the fence and seeing all kinds of new and strange looking pups, so when they finally get nosey enough to check out the sqwaking, I'm just going to tell them they are a new breed of feathered chihuahas [​IMG] ). Anyway...I'm going to try and post a pic or two, to get some expert opinions from you all, if you don't mind. She (he?) is the dearest little chicken and follows me all over the place at only 6 weeks of age. She (he?) has become fast and furious friends with my six month old terrier, and she is sassy and very assertive. I'm praying she is NOT a he! I can't keep her/him, if so [​IMG] I hope the pics post properly. I'm still learning...
    [​IMG]

2. sadies chicks

sadies chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Northwest
    Gosh from my limited experience sexing chicks, I am going to say yes, he is a he [​IMG] the large comb and stocky legs are telling me that. So sorry!!

3. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    [​IMG]
    How old is the chick? That comb is saying roo to me but I wouldn't rehome the chick on just that. Not totally familliar with the breed.

4. So Cal Chick'ns

Jul 8, 2011
    RSM
    [​IMG]

5. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    I am sorry, but you have handsome boy on your hands.

6. So Cal Chick'ns

Jul 8, 2011
    RSM
    She/he is 5.5 - 6 weeks (give or take...the seller wasn't sure when I purchased the chick)

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Your personable BR is a handsome little roo. Sorry.

(That's some comb he's got going there, for six weeks!)

8. So Cal Chick'ns

Jul 8, 2011
    RSM
    Yup...had a bad feeling....Well then, I hope I haven't harmed his masculinity by calling him "Faye" for the last month. How sad...I adore this little guy.[​IMG]
    Thanks friends for your help....sigh.....

9. DanyyChicken

DanyyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southern NH
    Sorry to say it looks alot like a rooster! I currently have a barred rock pullet that is 14 weeks old and her comb is still very small and flesh colored. I just brought 4 roosters to the SPCA for potential rehoming and all there combs were big and red. Two were already crowing and I knew we couldnt keep them all. They also were the most friendly coming right up to greet you and ate alot. Now that they are gone my 6 remaining females are coming round. There was just to much competition for them to stand a chance. We kept one bantam Rooster. It only took him two days after the big guys were gone to start crowing. He jumped right in their shoes! It was to bad as two of those Roos were my favs but my 5 year old son got to pick the roo that could stay. I think he did make a wise choice thou. Good luck![​IMG]

10. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    That is definantly a rooster

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by