UK Member Please Say HI

Hi I currently have 8 warrens, 2 white leghorn and 2 Plymouth Rock and also 2 Aylesbury ducks. I have 9 eggs in my incubator due next week! What about you?
Hi @ste1995 . Nice flock you have going there! If the white leghorns you have are the whitestars they will be your best layers. I have 3 and at 4 yrs old they consistently out lay all my other hens!

Hi I currently have 8 warrens, 2 white leghorn and 2 Plymouth Rock and also 2 Aylesbury ducks. I have 9 eggs in my incubator due next week! What about you?

Lovely mix there! Good luck with your eggs :fl
I have 8 polish, 1 polish cross and 2 ex commercial hens. I also have quail, 3 cortunix & 4 harlequin. Plus other various animals.

Hi! Not from or in the UK and I'm seeking a favor. I cannot find Smith's book "Simply Wyandottes" anywhere here in the US. Do you know of any resource to search for it there? I do have it as an ebook but would prefer a hard copy. Thanks for any info!

Hi :frow
Have you tried amazon uk? I’m sure they do global shipping on certain items.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/

Hi Havent been on here a while. I have two hobbies, one ceramics the other my chickens. But I have been quite busy of late. And instead of popping in to say hi I do the shameful thing to pop in and say. `help`.
I buried one of my silkies this morning, I had her isolated yesterday with her silkie freind as company, I initially thought she had a bad leg and was laying a bit on her side, I sort of guessed that maybe the rooster was a bit harsh on her hence the seclusion. Well after burying her this morning I noticed the other silkie a bit odd and now she seemsto also be having the same symptoms as the one I buried. I have googled everywhere checked the stool samples etc, gave worming treatment, vitamins ... but she is liking a lot of grapes. The symptoms appear to be the same as Marek, Lying on one side and unable to move properly without using a wing, eyes going a bit grey. I have been feeding her grape and sitting her on my lap in the garden so she can see her chicken freinds, I have put her in the nesting box in the coop for now with the lid a bit open before i go out and buy more grapes. One thing im concerned about is... if its Mareks,how on earth did they catch it. I bought the silkies about 14 months ago from a respectible source and the other chicks I have are all hatched by me. Would there be a chance they could have caught the diseease from wild birds passing through the garden etc, and should I inform the govenment, My other hunch is because I have two noisy roosters whether someone might have thrown something into the garden... god help me this isnt the case.
Thanks for listening.

Hi Havent been on here a while. I have two hobbies, one ceramics the other my chickens. But I have been quite busy of late. And instead of popping in to say hi I do the shameful thing to pop in and say. `help`.
I buried one of my silkies this morning, I had her isolated yesterday with her silkie freind as company, I initially thought she had a bad leg and was laying a bit on her side, I sort of guessed that maybe the rooster was a bit harsh on her hence the seclusion. Well after burying her this morning I noticed the other silkie a bit odd and now she seemsto also be having the same symptoms as the one I buried. I have googled everywhere checked the stool samples etc, gave worming treatment, vitamins ... but she is liking a lot of grapes. The symptoms appear to be the same as Marek, Lying on one side and unable to move properly without using a wing, eyes going a bit grey. I have been feeding her grape and sitting her on my lap in the garden so she can see her chicken freinds, I have put her in the nesting box in the coop for now with the lid a bit open before i go out and buy more grapes. One thing im concerned about is... if its Mareks,how on earth did they catch it. I bought the silkies about 14 months ago from a respectible source and the other chicks I have are all hatched by me. Would there be a chance they could have caught the diseease from wild birds passing through the garden etc, and should I inform the govenment, My other hunch is because I have two noisy roosters whether someone might have thrown something into the garden... god help me this isnt the case.
Thanks for listening.
Oh no. I'm sorry about your silkies:hugs I'm not sure about mareks. It's not something I have had to deal with. I think Newcastle disease is similar or is a precursor to mareks. Newcastle disease can be bought in from wild birds especially pigeons @Eggcessive or @Wyorp Rock may be able to give better advice.

Thanks for listening.
I'm sorry to hear about your Silkie:hugs

The one that is exhibiting symptoms now - are her eyes odd too?
If you can post some photos of her and the eyes that may be helpful.

Sadly, it does sound like she has Marek's, but the only way to know for sure would be to send the body for necropsy if you lose her.

Marek's can be spread by wild birds, in dust/dander, on clothes/shoes, etc.
Here's a very good article about Marek's, you may want to read all of it.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

If she is struggling, you can try placing her in a sling to see if that will keep her more upright. Encourage her to eat/drink. See that she is eating her normal feed for the majority of the time, adding some fresh greens to her diet may be beneficial. See if you can find some poultry vitamins that contain the B's, if not use human B-Complex - 1/4 tablet a day for a week.

Thanks for listening.

Sorry to hear this :hugs

@rebrascora also has some experience on Mareks & maybe able to offer you some advice.

Back
Top Bottom