UK newbie!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Toddys Farm, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Toddys Farm

Toddys Farm Just Hatched

[​IMG]

Hi, I decided this year that I needed a hobby and to cut a boring story short, I love animals (I have 3 dogs already) and enjoy being in the garden all times of the year. I began planting trees and shrubs, started on some veggies and then stumbled on the idea of having my own chickens. I had an area of the garden that was spacious and needed something and so the idea of a chicken coop was born.

I now have 10 Novo Brown hens and spend time with them everyday, they are amazing animals, funny at times and very inquisitive. i have had them for 4 months now and had no trouble starting with 3 hens and then introducing 7 more, I was patient and spent time so as to stop any bullying, within 2 weeks, all had settled wonderfully which made me think all was going well.
    Until recently, I have noticed as its starting to get a little cooler, one or two of my hens sneezed and I thought one coughed, now I'm probably barking up the wrong tree but do chickens get seasonal colds?

I have put some Cider Vinegar in their drinking water and also added some extra things like corn and other seeds to their layers pellets to help put on an extra layer of warmth for the winter, extra bedding for warmth and have a really good coop so as to protect them from the British weather, but it doesn't stop you worrying or thinking.

Well guys any help or advice would be fantastic, many thanks for taking the time to read,

Darren :)

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Chickens do not get actual "colds" but they can get sick. An occasional sneeze or cough is VERY normal and does not mean anything is wrong. However, if it continues then you may want to post here https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Good job on the ACV! Keep it up! It is very good for chickens! Sounds like you are all ready for winter also.

Glad you joined and good luck!

1 person likes this.
  3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join us. Bovan Brown (Novo Brown) is one of many labels under which some hatcheries (especially in the UK) market their Red Sex Links, which are produced by crossing a red gene rooster with a silver gene hen, and like all Red Sex Links, they are egg laying machines, outlaying either parent breed. It's one of the interesting quirks of hybridization. Red Sex Links are cold hardy, go as long as their coop is well ventilated to prevent moisture from building up in it, draft free, and dry, the cold shouldn't pose any problem for them. Moisture is a greater danger than cold. If their symptoms do persist, definitely post them on our Emergencies, Diseases, Injuries, and Cures section at https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

1 person likes this.
  4. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    1 person likes this.
  5. StephensonC

StephensonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    [​IMG] Hi! Welcome to BYC! I'm a newbie too! Good luck with your flock!

1 person likes this.
  6. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Welcome to you too StephensonC! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. Toddys Farm

Toddys Farm Just Hatched

Hey Sarah, thank you for the information, it really helps and thank you for the link! :)
    Hi Michael, I actually didn't know that about my chickens, thank you so much for the information, very helpful! :)
    Hello NorthFLChick, thank you for the link, I will have a nosey! :)
    Hey StephensonC, thanks for the hello, I was a little nervous at posting to be honest, cheers! :)

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens. Glad you joined the flock [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. Toddys Farm

Toddys Farm Just Hatched

Hi Drumstick Diva, many thanks for the welcome! :)

10. WalleyWaller

WalleyWaller Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2013
    Aiken, SC
    Hello from South Carolina! [​IMG] We are happy you joined us! [​IMG][​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by