Ulcerated feet *now with PIX*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hooligan, Jan 13, 2008.

1. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    So the rescued broilers have ulcers on their feet, or at least thats what they appear to be from the online broiler pix.
    Is there something I can do to help heal them or at least help with the pain?

ETA:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2008
  2. hooligan

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    *bump* [​IMG]

3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Are you sure its not bumblefoot?

4. hooligan

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    I don't think so, but I posted pix to be able to give a more accurate description.

5. ChicknThief

ChicknThief Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    OMG!!! [​IMG] That looks AWEFUL!!!

Edited to add: I would PM dlhunicorn. She is VERY knowledgable with this type of thing. I'm willing to bet that she will know what to do...

Last edited: Jan 15, 2008
  6. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I think its realy far along bumble foot but I dont know the cures or treatments for that you could look it up in emergency section becasue I am sure someone will have posted before.

henry

7. hooligan

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    These guys are only about 45 days old, definately younger than 6 wks and all their feet look this way. It can't be seen by the camera but Farmer's webbing has been "eaten" thru in spots where that is.
    Here's another picture of him crashed out after I put pumpkin body butter on all his bald spots.
    [​IMG]

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Hmm, not so sure about the feet... but I almost feel as if all that black tissue has got to go if it is to heal. Soak and peel as bad as that sounds. I worry that it is infected and can go systemic thus killing the bird. For pain, you can use I believe 5 grain aspirin in one gallon of water is the mix, but I don't quite remember.

As for age, they look older than 6 weeks old to me and skinnier than the cornish x's I've had, in breast and in leg width. The combs is very developed and floppier than any baby I've seen and it almost looks like a female breeder with the comb the way it is. The feather development is thorough and doesn't look like there are too many pin feathers. But, we all know how pics can distort things.

Edit:

For comparison, here is a 4-5 week old cornish x female with the thick legs and wider breast.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2008
  9. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    I can say that the loss of feathers on the breast/front is typical of broilers.

Those feet look awful - like the worst case bumblefoot...

10. hooligan

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    They are definately less than 6 wks old. They were about to go to slaughter from a factory farm when I got them. These are the mutated super market birds. They have horrible problems like this and he (though could be a she) is in the house bc when my bf went outside today he could not even stand, so in teh house he came!
    None of them have red or swollen feet, even though they all have these black scabs. Thats why my first thought was ulcers. And this article showed soemthing that looks alot like what they all have:
    http://greenfield.fortunecity.com/garden/156/broilers.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by