1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

uld like to raise chickens,ducks,geese,and turkeys

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by perry1701, Mar 21, 2012.

1. perry1701

perry1701 New Egg

Mar 21, 2012
    I would like to raise chickens,ducks,geese and turkeys but i need to know how big the coop and run needs to be. I have an idea on the number of fowl i need total of 48 however 25 of the chickens for meat and some of the ducks, geese,and turkeys too. The rest will be for eggs but i need to know how big of a coop and pen i will need for them to be comfertable.

2. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

In my experience, you can't run all of those birds together, so ONE coop really isn't advisable. My turkey attacked my chickens and nearly killed one. Sometimes they get along-- sometimes not. A lot of people worry about blackhead -- that chickens can pass it on to turkey. I've never had that problem, but I've never brought in adult birds to my property. (biosecurity) You can run your ducks and geese together easily. They are super messy and throw water everywhere and make a mess of their food. They'll need a kiddie pool or something to bathe in. We just used a cheap plastic formed kiddie pool from Walmart and then dumped the water out every couple of days. (the water gets murky and yucky pretty fast, so stay on top of that or they will get eye infections) If you are planning on having any crested breeds of chickens, I would absolutely NOT run them with turkey. If you are bent on running chickens with turkey (not advisable, but possibly doable) I'd brood them all together as babies. Turkey will stick to themselves, though. Honestly, I think you're looking at building 3 coops, but at the very least, 2 coop if you divided up chickens & turkey and then a separate for ducks and geese. Chickens and turkey are a lot cleaner, and they will do better in a space that isn't saturated with water. As far as how big a coop for 25 chickens-- I think you're looking at least a 12 X 12 coop. The run will need to be 4 square feet per bird, so calculate how many birds are in the pen and then multiply by 4 to get your area. When you build your coop and run for the ducks and geese, think about how to drain their run well. The grass will soon become mud, so think about putting down a small sized gravel base with a thick sand on top and look at trying to grade it so it will drain well.

3. perry1701

perry1701 New Egg

Mar 21, 2012
    thinks for the info i'am going to get them young so ill go ahead and build two coops and runs thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by