Ultimate Duck Video - Adopt McIntosh the pet Muscovy drake! :) - Gainesville, FL

jz

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 1, 2010
We worked really hard on this video about McIntosh's life in order to increase his chances of finding a good home. We hope you enjoy it!

Here's a copy of the adoption ad:

My boyfriend and I are looking for a new home for our beloved 2 yr old Muscovy drake named McIntosh. We live in Gainesville, FL but we're moving to Hawaii very soon, which is coincidentally the only state that forbids the entrance of ducks :(

McIntosh is a very special duck. He acts more like a dog than a duck, and we treat him as such. We got him when he was a few minutes old. Since we got him so young, he is imprinted on humans. He thinks he is a human, and is way more tame and humanized than normal ducks. Please watch the video to see what I mean.

We also have a normal, non-humanized female duck who is a companion to McIntosh- we would like it if you adopted her along with McIntosh. She is very sweet, quiet, self-sufficient, and she follows McIntosh around. She would give almost no more work than what is required to care for McIntosh by himself.

We are asking for a few requirements in order to adopt McIntosh:

1. He must have a safe yard to free range and play around in from morning til dusk. It would be even better if you have a pond or stream in your yard, but a kiddie pool would do.

2. Please spend as much time as you can with him. Since he thinks he's a human, he would get lonely without human companionship. He is great at following you around and just hanging out nearby while you do chores, sit on the porch, work in the garden, lay out in the sun, etc. He won't run away from you, he wants to be with his "flock".

3. Everytime you don't see him for many hours, he will go into a very specific "attack mode" in order to re-establish his dominance or something. He will bite your feet for about 3 minutes, and then completely exit this state and go back to being a sweet duck. He will not randomly bite you when he is out of this state. Luckily he has no teeth, and we will give you a pair of Crocs to protect your feet. It's just kind of annoying, so you would have to be patient with this, and never kick him, etc.

4. Keep his water clean- we have a big tupperware container inside of his cage that we dump and refill every other day. We change his hay every week or two. It's pretty easy.

5. Lock him up inside of his cage before dusk. Ducks are very vulnerable to predators- raccoons, owls, and foxes are the biggest concerns at night. Dogs are the biggest daytime threat, and there's not much we can do about that except have a good fence and always being on the lookout when he's outside of fenced areas. Never trust a dog to be with a duck- they can kill them just by playing with them.

6. Clip his wings once or twice a year, or he might fly into a street, into a neighbor's yard with a dog, or get lost. I can teach you when to clip and how (easy).

7. We would prefer a stable, long-term home for McIntosh in an area without too many predators. It would be even better if he was not in contact with any male ducks - they would probably bully him. He will not mate with female ducks, so don't worry about ducklings or him harassing the females. It would be great to find someone within Gainesville, but we're not opposed to traveling a ways for a good home. Note that the city of Gainesville allows 2 ducks per house (we live in some suburbs next to campus).

If you are interested in adopting McIntosh, or have any questions about him, that is great! Please send me an email (preferred) at [email protected] describing your situation and housing/animal set-up (pictures would be even better), or text/call me at 386 214 5631. Please don't be discouraged if you've never had a duck before, we will be happy to tell you everything about them, and we can provide you with his cage, a bag of food, his food dish, some hay, and some fencing. He is much easier to take care of than a dog, and he's a lot of fun! He is the best pet we've ever had :)

We hope that you will come to love him as much as we do!

Thank you,
Julie and Felipe

Last edited:
Thanks, I'm glad that you enjoyed :) I'm not sure how many duck enthusiasts are near Gainesville FL but hopefully there's a lot!

Hi Amiga!

Thats great- the more people I can reach the better! I started a thread there :)

Already getting some responses. This forum is great!

Already getting some responses. This forum is great!
fl.gif
keep us updated!!!

Back
Top Bottom