Ultra rare Swedish Black Hen has Mycoplasma gallisepticum

Baby Clucker

Chirping
Oct 25, 2020
My hen Pecker sleeps with 7 others in 1 coop. I went outside today to find her shaking her head when i let the coop out - They are all free range - and when she turned to get water, for a split second I saw her eye was closed. Now we have 2 Red Star hens, 1 Red Star rooster, a California Grey, a Rhode Island Red, a Silver Laced Wyandotte Cockeral, and a Blue Andalusian living with her, and i got worried. I knelt down and called her over and she came. Then carefully I picked her up and looked at her eye, which she allowed me to do since her breed seeks human affection. I saw yellow around half of her eye, and bubbles. I got worried and went to look up what she had. She has MG (Mycoplasma gallisepticum) which can cause eyes to seal shut after a period of bubbles in the eye. And bubbles are the first symptom. Now I'm only a Junior in High school and I have 14 birds in total. They are all free ranged and they sleep in their age groups. (2 groups in total - 6 "Adults" in one - and 2 "Teens, 6 "Babies" - in the other). How do i keep her from spreading it. I have 2 coops, and no where to put her if she needs to be separated and the high today is 68, which is where its at right now, and the low is 53. How do i keep her safe, warm, and separated without causing harm or stress to her and the groups?? The names go in order from the pictures; (Penguin, Bella, Bambi, Pecker (the sick one), Oreo, Katelyn, Avocado, Cheddar, Silver, Smokey, Roo, Swaddles, Luna, and Caramel))

Attachments

• IMG_3173.jpg
    IMG_3173.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3187.jpg
    IMG_3187.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3184.jpg
    IMG_3184.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3183.jpg
    IMG_3183.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3182.jpg
    IMG_3182.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3181.jpg
    IMG_3181.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3180.jpg
    IMG_3180.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3179.jpg
    IMG_3179.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3177.jpg
    IMG_3177.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3175.jpg
    IMG_3175.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3176.jpg
    IMG_3176.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3174.jpg
    IMG_3174.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3171.jpg
    IMG_3171.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3172.jpg
    IMG_3172.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 2
Can you post a close up of the hen with the eye bubbles? Could she have been pecked near the eye? Have you added any birds to your flock in recent weeks? You would need to get tested to know for sure it is MG that you are seeing, but it does sound like some symptoms. It is contagious, and the others are already exposed if they have been together in the coop, drinking from waterers, etc. MG can come back again, and can be transmitted in a hens eggs to offspring. Close your flock, and do not rehome any. Tylosin, doxycycline, Denagard, oxytetracycline, and a fee other antibiotics can treat symptoms. Here is a good article:
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/ext... Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf

Here is where Tylosin can be purchased or you can get something from a vet:
https://foyspetsupplies.com/tylan-powder-100-gr/

Back
Top Bottom