ultra violet therapy lamp

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by 3forfree, Sep 17, 2012.

1. 3forfree

3forfree Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    essexville, michigan
    found this in the neighbors garage tonight and wondered if anyone ever used one. Plugged it in and it works says it will cure alot of things. Just curious
    [​IMG]

2. thaiturkey

thaiturkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Thailand
    They should be used only according to the manufacturer's or a doctors instructions. These are not tanning lamps and too mush exposure can be harmful. Special goggles should be worn. Sunglasses aren't enough. The skin can be reddened and burned very quickly if you overdose.

If you have no medical need for UV skin treatment, don't use it.

If you want a tan, go to a sunny place and sit in the sun for 30 minutes. Even tanning lamps are discredited nowadays. I hope that when you turned it on you didn't stay in the same room without eye protection for more than a few seconds.

3. 3forfree

3forfree Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    essexville, michigan
    I have no intention of using it. I found it in a neighbors garage when I was helping her clean it out and wondered what it was. There are instructions with it stating to use eye protection. I had it on long enough to see that the bulb was lighting then turned it off. It's kind of a neat thing for being made in the 40's. The paper's inside says that it sold for $64.50. There's some on e-bay for sale.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Yeah be careful... glad you aren't using it cuz you'd need eye protection.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  5. oldrooster

oldrooster One Crazy Nut

It is my understanding the people who actually need such a device are very few and very far away. they used to be used quite often before they understood all the side effects and also drugs and other safer therapies where developed for some diseases and also it being discovered it wasn't effective really for some problems.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by