um, can i have some advice on taxes?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by sdshoars, Feb 8, 2009.

1. sdshoars

sdshoars Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Texas
    i was trying to file online with turbotax, and when i file jointly with my husband, our tax return is itty bitty, but if i chose to file seperately then our returns are bigger... so should i file seperately or is this a no no?

2. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    If you are married, you need to file together. If you file as though you were single, I believe this would be a form of tax fraud.

3. greyhorsewoman

greyhorsewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Endless Mts, NE PA
    Since this is a 'chicken forum' ... it is NOT a good place to ask for tax advice.

That being said, married people CAN file separately ... each filing his own return. And if that results in tax savings, that is OK. Turbo Tax is a good tax software, but if you are at all uncomfortable, I'd consult a qualified tax preparer to be sure.

4. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:Yes, but this post was posted correctly under the Random Ramblings section. I don't see a problem with it when other people can post off the way things that are not of any real importance.

With that said, if you are still legally married, you must file together. Your return could be flagged for an audit if there is a major change from past tax returns. Yes, you get more money for filing separately, but it is worth the trouble in the long run if you get caught?

Anothing thing - if you go to a professional tax prep office, you will most likely get a larger return that by doing the return on a home software program. (And I must say that our local family owned franchise of H & R Block has done a wonderful job with ours.)

5. greyhorsewoman

greyhorsewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Endless Mts, NE PA
    off the way things that are not of any real importance

I kinda think tax advice is 'really important.'

You CAN legally file separately !!! GEEZ .... it's on your tax return as a CHOICE ... Married, filing separately !!

But I so agree, that before you decide what is best, consult a qualified tax accountant.​

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  6. PamsPride

PamsPride Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    OHIO
    Yes, you CAN file separately!! My parents have done it for years! I would suggest that you contact a tax professional also.
    (I agree being that this is a chicken forum most people KNOW more about chickens than taxes so you need a professional.)

7. congdon476

congdon476 GaLLiNa LOcA

Dec 31, 2008
    Pueblo Area
    I know we use to do our own taxes on TurboTax as a married couple and wondered this too. That same year we decided to go with a family used tax attorney. He found us double the money we thought we'd get when we were doing it on our own... all legal. He just knows the laws and rules better than we do. Ever since then we use him. going on our 8th year with him and he's gotten us $3k back each yr. minimum. We don't grossly overpay out of our stubs... it just works that way. It's worth it to us to pay the $350 fee when he's getting us back over $1500 more than we can find on our own. I'd hire someone. PM or email me if you want the contact number. He's out of PA but has done our taxes for all the different states we've lived in.

8. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by