um... do submissive cockerels SQUAT for humans??

technodoll

Songster
10 Years
Aug 25, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I'm pretty sure that squatting is indicative of a pullet but can a young submissive cockerel exhibit this behaviour too?

I have a 10 week old silkie chick that I'm 95% convinced is a male (larger comb, swept-back head feathers, big legs, bigger and heavier than its siblings, will chest bump, etc) but every time I pick him up for a cuddle and then put back down on the ground he (she??) will do the hen squat, head down, wings outstretched, bum up in the air and then will do the feather shake after.

I've only ever had females do this (from a few weeks old to laying age) -

What in the world?

hu.gif

Last edited:
I'd be skeptical that it's a cockerel then. I could see squatting maybe from a very submissive male, but not the tail adjustment and fluffing up afterward (because I thought the shaking afterward was to move along the sperm or whatever???).

I'd be skeptical that it's a cockerel then. I could see squatting maybe from a very submissive male, but not the tail adjustment and fluffing up afterward (because I thought the shaking afterward was to move along the sperm or whatever???).

That's why I'm asking because I've personally never seen a male squat like that, no matter the age... this chick really lifts up the bum and everything, I was actually shocked and have been repeating the moves a few times to be sure it wasn't just a fluke (it isn't).

Everything else about him (her??) screams roo, so I really don't know what's going on :-(

I have observed chickens most of my life (>35 years) under a range of conditions and never noticed such behavior. Closest is when a very young cockerel is mounted by an adult sized cockerel but former is not actually squating.

I have observed chickens most of my life (>35 years) under a range of conditions and never noticed such behavior. Closest is when a very young cockerel is mounted by an adult sized cockerel but former is not actually squating.

... so squatting = pullet then?

i'd be ever so delighted!!

I'm not sure what you mean by squatting, but my hens all exhibit a signal when they want me to pick them up. I would call it a squat with their shoulders raised and the wings out a bit. They look sideways at me while they do it and sometimes they dance a little on their feet until I pick them up. We handle the chickens often but this is their way to say "pick ME up now!" Today my Wyandotte did this move when I went out to the coop and then I noticed she layed an egg today. Perhaps she wanted acknowledgment for her accomplishment!

I have an 8 month old New Hampshire rooster. He was getting beat up by the other roosters and is in a small pen by himself. When I open the lid to feed and water him he squats down, wings hanging down and sort of dances back and forth on his feet quickly. I reach in and pet him on the back and he keeps doing it. It's funny to watch him do this. I don't know if he's excited about the food or not.

I'm not sure what you mean by squatting, but my hens all exhibit a signal when they want me to pick them up. I would call it a squat with their shoulders raised and the wings out a bit. They look sideways at me while they do it and sometimes they dance a little on their feet until I pick them up.

i mean the position a hen assumes when being mounted by a rooster, complete with the feather shaking after the mating.

i can sex most of my silkie chicks by two months of age by running my fingers down their backs until i reach the base of their tail: the girls will squat and raise their bums, head down and wings stretched out a bit, and the roos will not. now this "roo" has squatted many times for me the past two days and i'm really shocked. totally LOOKS like a boy but is now acting like... a girl??

Back
Top Bottom