Um. Eww.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by joneus, Aug 2, 2011.

1. joneus

joneus Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Ballston Spa
    You guys weren't kidding about the fate of a mouse that dares trespass into a chicken coop. It took a bit of prodding with the pitchfork, but after a few minutes, I realized that the bloody mass of nastiness was a mouse turned inside out.

I wonder if there's a way to let the chickens free range inside my walls this winter? [​IMG]

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Hmmm...mine never left a trace! I had a RSL who was a superb mouse catcher but when she got one, she would thunk it on the ground a few times to stun/kill it, then tilt her head back and the whole thing went down in one swallow.

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I've never found any evidence left over. Probably wouldn't have thought they could catch a mouse if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes. My chickens like frogs too [​IMG]

4. joneus

joneus Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Ballston Spa
    LOL! My girls are still babies (12 weeks on Saturday!) so they may not be big enough to swallow the whole thing. I wonder if maybe they were just playing with it and got bored when it was time to go outside? Or maybe they had trouble with the hide and gave up? The hide, a foot, and a couple of bones were all that was left.

Is it wrong that I'm proud of them for this? [​IMG]

5. Sandy16

Sandy16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    Atlanta
    I'd love to have your chickens come visit my chickens and teach them how to kill the rats. Seriously, our girls could care less if a rat comes into their run, and the rats don't even give a second glance to the hens....they just go for the food. It's like a Disney movie in there some days! ARGH!!!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by