Um, loosing feathers. Acting kinda strange?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by somissemilyy, Jan 31, 2011.

1. somissemilyy

somissemilyy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Coldwater, MS
    Does this normally happen? My dad and I think my Barred Rock hen is molting. We find her feathers EVERYWHERE! Yard, inside coop, and in the nesting boxes. She is kinda acting not all spiffy, but still eats, runs, and scratches. When she gets in a spot where she is comfy she will just sit there all buffed up kinda. Tell me what she is doing please. Thanks! [​IMG]

2. somissemilyy

Jun 5, 2010
    Coldwater, MS
    And also, what can I give her to help her grow her feathers out?

Thanks so much!
    [​IMG]

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    what part of the country are you in? my hens molted in the fall, but others have said their hens are molting now, so I guess it's possible.. you need to up her protein intake. lean meat, tuna, salmon, cooked eggs[yolk] mealworms, even canned cat food. just watch the sodium amounts.. also rinse off the extra salt on the other canned items..this is in addition to her main feed.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Sounds like a normal molt. They are rather miserable during a molt; the apparently feel pretty awful. Lap chickens tend to get irritable and don't want to be touched.

It takes a lot of protein to grow feathers, which are largely protein, and their appetite is often not as good as normal, so it's a good time for lots of nutritious treats. Some meat every day is a good idea.

5. chuckzoo

chuckzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    A simple way to increase the protein is to switch to a Gamebird/Showbird feeed which is 24% protein and all the other nutrients a chicken needs.

Take care not to try and pick her up at this point as it can be painful for her while the feathers are regrowning and could damage the feather shafts.

Good luck she will be beatiful once she has her new feathers and will feel good again too.

6. somissemilyy

Jun 5, 2010
    Coldwater, MS
    How long will it take? It's suppose to get down in the 20's tonight and she has no feathers on her butt side. I just gave her some scrambled eggs, seemed to enjoy it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by