Um.....my duck is throwing up. HELP

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by blondiebee181, Sep 22, 2012.

1. blondiebee181

blondiebee181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    So my F+W Indian Runner is about 3 mos. old and tonight she has been throwing up foamy stuff. 3 times so far. She'll sort of ruffle up her neck feathers and struggle for a second and then this clearish liquid will dribble out her bill. Is this ok? Did she just eat something that upset her tummy? She's drinking fine, I'll see if she eats at all when I go to put them away...

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Is there anything in your yard that could possibly Toxic?

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    It is not normal for ducks to throw up, no.

What has she been doing today?

She could have gotten into something toxic.

If you have food grade activated charcoal, I would give her a pint of water with three teaspoons of charcoal mixed into it - it absorbs toxins.

4. blondiebee181

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    Yeesh, no charcoal no.....um tomato plants, basil, grass.....snap dragons......they dont eat tomato much though, the only thing they really like is basil.....coreopsis, zinnia....but those are pretty much fenced off. I've been gone most of the day and besides Willow isn't sick (my other duck) What should I do? She is moving a little slow like she doesn't feel well....is there someplace I should go for charcoal?

5. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Drugstores usually carry charcoal capsules that you can open and empty into water.

She may be having a bad reaction to tomato leaves, which can be toxic (they are in the nightshade family). Ducks are unique in their sensitivity to things. What bothers one may not bother another.

Since she is getting worse, please look at this on toxin removal. You may want to try some of this.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/700526/flushes-for-aiding-in-toxin-removal#post_9508213

Please keep us posted, but if you need to go get something, go get it right away.

6. blondiebee181

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    I will check her and may go get charcoal.....how do you dose it? Give it to her directly? Or just put it in the water? Isolate her? It's almost bedtime so....

7. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would try to keep her isolated where she would be more easily monitored. I just sprinkle the charcoal into the water. It won't hurt the others, though, if you cannot make a sick bay area for her tonight.

But if you decide to use the flushes, she really needs to be the only duck getting that unless the other(s) develop symptoms.

Epsom salts is really handy to have around if you are going to get something you might pick that up.

If she is drinking fine, that is a good thing . . . keep fresh water near her so she can keep drinking.

8. blondiebee181

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    They are in their pond right now. They are in a run with my 5 chicken hens as well. I could try to find something to bring her in tonight but Willow would have to come too I don't think I could seperate them. I suppose it's easy enough to walk out to the run and look, I only have a small urban backyard. Will charcoal hurt the chickens?

9. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    As far as I know, the charcoal should not hurt anything or anyone who ingests it. It is fairly benign, to my understanding (not a vet or m.d., though). I have given it to my ducks when they are puny.

The link recommends a teaspoon of activated charcoal powder per 8 ounces of water multiple times per day. The molasses and Epsom salts flushes are laxatives, so you need to give much less, and be careful the duck doesn't get dehydrated. But if it is a toxin, moving it through quickly is generally what people try to do.

Then that needs to be followed up with vitamins-electrolytes-probiotics to help bolster the duck's system.

Praying for you both.

10. blondiebee181

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    Thanks Amiga, especially for responing so quickly...I may run and get some charcoal. The chickens and ducks have seperate waterers to which each species is fairly partial to so the chickens don't drink from theirs much anyway.....I'll put some in there to be safe. She and Willow just came out of the pond and as I watched they were both eating. Willow was ravenous (the usual) and Ivy was eating but smaller bites than usual. They are on Flock Raiser.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by