Um....Pullets roosting/pooping in nesting boxes...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kingsley11743, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Kingsley11743

Kingsley11743 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2015
    My pullets hang out in the nesting boxes. I'm not sure if I should block them from the boxes until they're mature (they need to know where to go) but I don't want them to think they've been popping in there for as long as they can remember & will continue (therefore not lay in them when they are supposed to). Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    This is a very common issue encountered with young birds. The easy answer is to do what you have suggested - block off access to the nest boxes until your birds are showing signs of being close to the point of lay. A nest sleeping habit can be hard to break - especially if allowed to continue - and poopy nest boxes are NOT good, especially when the eggs start coming.
    The other thing to consider is whether your setup may be inadvertently making the nest boxes a preferable sleeping place to the intended roost spot - can you post a photo or two of the inside of your coop so that we can help you spot any potential pitfalls?

3. Kingsley11743

Kingsley11743 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2015
    Thanks. I basically have one of those "tiny houses" you see on hgtv as a coop. Husband built a huge coop on a trailer. Along the back wall, I have roosts they will hang out on. I also have in three corners more roosts built from branches we took from our woods. Almost looks like functional sculpture bc the girls will hang out there too. But sometimes I see them in the nesting boxes which are along the side wall. I'll block them off this weekend. Silly girls.
    Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by