Um, sure.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Arztwolf, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Arztwolf

Arztwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2014
    SW Texas
    I have a friend and ex-coworker who is also a loyal egg customer. She called to today to ask me if I wanted a free chicken.[​IMG]

Turns out one of her friends is down to one chicken (predation) and is going on vacation and has given it to her. She loves animals, but has no clue what to do with a single chicken (she has no coop or anything). He gave her a bag of food and she is keeping it in a dog crate in her house till she can bring it to me either this afternoon or tomorrow.

Not being a chicken person, she has no idea the breed or age of this bird. It's probably a hen since the guy lives in town and had them for eggs. The bird is def going into quarantine.

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    You will definitely want to separate this bird from your flock for 3 weeks or so for observation. It is can be devastating to introduce illness or parasites to your flock by doing a kind, selfless act.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I always say "Beware of friends bearing chickens." If not sick, they usually turn out to be cockerels.

4. Arztwolf

Aug 5, 2014
    SW Texas
    It will be.

I think there is a good chance it'll turn out to be a hen. The guy was getting eggs from this chicken according to my friend.[​IMG]

5. Arztwolf

Aug 5, 2014
    SW Texas
    It's a hen and I've named her Maple.
    [​IMG]

6. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming

She's a nice looking girl. I hope after isolation she'll fit in with the other girls you have.

7. Arztwolf

Aug 5, 2014
    SW Texas
    I do, too. She is not flighty and appears to be friendly. So far no lice, sneezing or discharge, hope it stays that way.

8. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    She is beautiful. Glad she got a good new home:D

9. Arztwolf

Aug 5, 2014
    SW Texas
    So I ended her quarantine and promptly decided she wants nothing to do with my other chickens![​IMG]

She would rather live as a hermit beneath my house then in a nice, safe, and comfortable chicken coop. So she has spent the past two nights roosting beneath my feet, coming out during the day to eat the cat food we put down for the feral cats. I put out a dish of all flock crumbles for her and the other chickens promptly ate it all as she turned her beak up to it and went into the woods to forage. [​IMG]

She is not being picked on, she just wants nothing to do with them.

10. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    How about now? It's been a couple days. They have to re establish the pecking order when new chickens are added.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by