Um, the BBB turkey poults are not honoring their end of the deal.

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Denninmi, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    We had a deal. I was going to raise them for meat, not befriend them, and they were going to be afraid of me, aloof, and not particularly endearing.

They're not living up to their end of the deal. They're really friendly and social and always want to jump out and see me. Very different from the Royal Palm crosses I raised last year and their poults this year -- I've heard that palms are a more aloof and wild acting breed anyway.

The cornish chickens, no problem, but these turkeys are testing me will at only 3 weeks old.

2. Dipsey2209

Dipsey2209 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2011
    HAHA! i tried the whole turkey raising thing it back fired in my face too....i loved the little guys...when it came time to eat them i ended up selling them i just didnt have the heart to do it myself

3. Poupoulles

Poupoulles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Mayberry (really!)
    Isnt it weird how the industrial chickens (cornish cross) are gross and just lay around eating and pooping, not interested in anything and not endearing at all- and the industrial turkeys (BBW) are charming and funny and interested in everything? I have switched to freedom rangers on the chickens but I am perfectly happy with my BBW turkeys. They are hilarious! I have raised a mix of heritage turkeys and found them to be too "wild" in their behavior. Roosting on the roof of my house, just to choose one example.

4. Mtn Margie

Mtn Margie Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2010
    CO Rockies - 8600ft up
    My BBB guys follow me around as well. I take them for walks to keep them healthier , but can't really leave them out. Too many things would love to eat my dinner. I will say that I am over the fact that they have a tendency to go for the "worms" attached to my hands and they hurt! Mine are about 2.5 months.

5. ChickenAlgebra

ChickenAlgebra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    This is why we have an 11 year old. He is from a BBB hen, mutt roo. He is just too nice, never became dinner. The BBW are always nicer than the heritage breeds, sigh.

6. PatS

PatS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Northern Califonia
    Are the free-ranging broad-breasteds sweeter to their free-ranging chicken friends, too? We raised heritage turkeys last year and the MWs chased the UPS lady and Fed Ex man, and the BRs kept beating up each other and the roo (and they were females!). We've taken a year off from them because of so many other activities this summer, but I'm looking forward to turkeys next year. There is a woman who hatches her own BBs in the next town over. Hers reproduce naturally, I hear she restricts feed and has them forage for part of their diet.

7. Outhouser

Outhouser Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    Minford
    We have one midget white turkey and she is a doll! We've become so attached to her that we ordered 11 BBB's to take her place on the table. Hopefully at least one of them will be a big jerk and not make it so hard us!

8. bwmichaud

bwmichaud Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    Turkeys are such little sweethearts...until they turn into toms and mating season comes around. At that point, you won't mind doing the deed. The problem is, turkeys raised for meat are usually slaughtered in the fall and never make it to mating season so they are still sweeties when their time has come.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by