Um....what?! (but cute!)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by macmama, Jun 24, 2010.

1. macmama

macmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Gilbert AZ
    I just hatched 3 sex-link eggs with my broody. 2 were CQs and one was a BSL. She had JUST moved her breeding pens around 2 weeks before so she warned me I might get a surprise, and I did. All 3 chicks are identical! I was expecting a plain reddish or yellowish chick for the CQs, and a black or black-with-dot chick for the BSL.
    They all have reddish tones-- did I really get 3 girls? I think she makes her CQs by SLW hens and RIR roos if that helps...
    They all hatched like this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    I have no idea but I just mixed my white silkie to my RIR roo and got a baby that looks like that with a silkie face.i am loving the chipmunkiness.

3. MattalynsBarn

MattalynsBarn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    The first one looks like my Sussex chicks, even with that white, red, white, beak. But the second picture looks like the backs of my EE chicks

4. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    That is a surprise. They do look just like sussex chicks. I'd think they will grow up to be a patterned bird [​IMG]

5. macmama

Apr 9, 2010
    Gilbert AZ
    I love the chipmunkiness too. That would be fun if they were patterned! I don't have one of those. Backyard-chickening is so limiting... I really NEED more than the ten birds I'm allowed to have. [​IMG]

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:I can have up to 100 birds in my zoning, but I'm limited by how fast I can build coops and pay for feed. [​IMG]

The chicks do look like Speckled sussex. What a beautiful surprise.

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Sexlinks do not breed true in the second generation. No way to tell the gender at this point.

8. Panhanle RIR

Panhanle RIR Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Texas County, Oklahoma
    Quote:my CQ's of that cross have been very unreliable a white one was a hen

9. macmama

Apr 9, 2010
    Gilbert AZ
    Quote:These are 1st generation-- parents were pure. And I was wrong-- Mom was a Delaware, not a SLW. Apparently the breeder said all of the Delaware/(RIR-- I think) crosses came out chipmunked, the boys' base color is whitish yellow, girls' is reddish yellow. So I think I got 3 girls!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by