Um... what do I do with my chickens when they are done laying?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Jenny1, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Jenny1

Jenny1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    They are still young, but I have to admit the question has crossed my mind. We had a gerbil that needed to be put down (he had a huge bloody tumor on his belly and wouldnt die) and I thought I could just do it myself because paying a vet to kill a mouse seemed crazy. I was successful, but it was horrible. I dont know if I could actually kill a chicken... and although they are pets, I like the egg factor.... so I dont think I want to keep them when they stop laying.

[​IMG]

2. kellysmall87

kellysmall87 Chillin' With My Peeps

You have two options really and I think you know what they are: kill it or keep it. If your chickens are pets them killing it seems crazy to me, as I wouldn't care if mine didn't lay. But if you are interested in just the eggs, then you can kill and eat them I guess? good luck in whatever you decide. If you are going to kill them anyway then eating them and appreciating the meat sounds better than burying them or binning them.

3. Jenny1

Sep 22, 2008
    I was under the impression that three or four year old laying hens aren't exactly yummy.... also, since we live in the city we can only have a few birds... 3 I think

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Actually, many people consider an older bird to make the very richest broth. FWIW.

5. Jenny1

Sep 22, 2008
    StilL... gotta cut the head offf... i dont even like seeing veins in boneless skinless breast from the store. Can i bring them somewhere to be processed?

6. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

Well, if they are pets with benefits, you keep in mind space needed for new layers coming in, and retired layers hanging about. I mean, people keep and feed dogs and cats too and what benefit do they provide aside from companionship, amusement, a walking buddy... Some people get that out of their chickens too.... OR, you can fix it in your head NOW and get used to the idea that once they finish laying, you take them to auction, and someone else buys them for a few bucks, and has a dinner, or you take them to a butcher, if you can't do it yourself, and for 2 bucks, they butcher and bag them, and you have dinner. It all depends on how you feel about your livestock/pet.

For the record, I take my un-need boys to the butcher, and we have dinner. I can't do it myself, and I have no problem paying someone else do it.

7. Jenny1

Sep 22, 2008
    I am thinking I either put them on craigslist, or I pay someone to butcher them But where do I find a butcher who does that? I did a quick interenet search and the only thing I found was a game processor- like for hunting. I aint bringin em in dead....

Thanks. I think you are right, I have to decide this now- not in 3 years. Who knows... maybe a coyote will eat them before me anyway.

8. cary 1973

cary 1973 Chillin' With My Peeps

I see on our pic of a child all i can say when you make up your mind about killing the birds dont let the kids get attached to them I have a frind that had a pet pig he loved would hang out with the pig told him all his prob came home one day and his dad killed the pig and it was 5 years later he was still upset about it and had anger towards his father (not so much that the pig was killed but he was never told that was the purpose so he couold not prepare him self and keep a distance, he loved his pet pig) So if you going to eat them let the kids know the purpose or if they get really attached say to one chicken maybe have a diffrent retiremt plan for them. Just my experance wanted to share.

1 person likes this.
  9. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    Google search "Game/meat processors" and you should find someone local. Slow cooking the bird will help with toughness of an old bird.

10. Jenny1

Sep 22, 2008
    Okay, and thanks about the kid part!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by