Umbiblical Cord Clogging Vent?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by OreoPlymothRock, Feb 16, 2013.

1. OreoPlymothRock

OreoPlymothRock Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    Florida
    Help, I don't know what to do, there is some sort of stringy thing clogging the vent of the duck, do I pull it out? Will it cause death because it can't poop? Thanks in Advance
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia "I Believe" Premium Member

I don't think the cord would be down around the vent. how old is this duckling? try some warm water and a qtip or cotton ball and gently wipe to see if you can soften it up. if you have some betadine you can mix it with some warm water and try to soften this up but i don't think I would try to pull it since we don't know exactly what it is. Oh if you can find a warm place in your house where you can put the duckling into some warm water just enough to cover belly and let it soak for a few mins. being very careful to not let it get chilled especially after you take it out of the water, that may soften it up enough if it's suppose to fall off. please give some info, what are you feeding the ducklings? what temp is the brooder? and how old are they?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  3. OreoPlymothRock

Apr 3, 2012
    Florida
    what are you feeding the ducklings? Crushed Layer Crumble
    what temp is the brooder? I don't know
    and how old are they? 5 days old, they hatched on Feb. 11, 2013

4. Miss Lydia

Layer is not suitable for ducklings they need starter there is too much calcium in the layer, that's the purpose of layer it's for duck/chicken etc when they begin to lay eggs and need the extra calcium for their shells. Sometimes temps too high can cause pasty butt, you really need to have a thermometer in the brooder to keep track of temps. at one week old temps should be between 80-85. How do you know this duckling hasn't pooped? is it eating good? getting water 24/7?

5. OreoPlymothRock

Apr 3, 2012
    Florida
    we watch it, and it is eating alot, and it does have water 24/7. And a duck raiser said that ducklings can live off anything. Like dogfood

6. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    They can live off anything, but most things aren't healthy..You shouldn't give a baby poultry of any genus layer food. The extra calcium can cause deformed bones and can even shut down the kidneys...so no layer food. You need chick starter, or meat bird crumbles, game bird feed isn't very good for them either, but some people use it...just mix in some wheat or oats with it to bring the protein levels down a bit if you do use game bird feed. Or so I have heard.

7. OreoPlymothRock

Apr 3, 2012
    Florida
    thank you, I will buy chick starter for them, I just wanted to feed them all one thing, not buying different feeds.

8. Miss Lydia

Even something like Purina Flock raiser is good to use all you flock even your layers can eat it just put out oyster shell for the extra calcium your layers need. but i use Purina Flock Raiser for everyone including my ducklings and chicks. Crumble not pellets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by