Mrsyoung2018

In the Brooder
May 4, 2020
Hello all! I am a first time chicken tender. We got our day old chicks last Wednesday (they shipped Monday). We got 6 but 2 died in shipping so only have 4 now. So they are a week old now. I have one that came with her umbilical cord still on...she was a little more lethargic then the others too and kind of does her own thing - we named her Helen. I trimmed it a hair so the others would peck it and was told it would fall off in a couple days. Helen has since perked up. She still does her own thing. I did the save a chick electrolyte and probiotics for two days and then switched to regular water with a dash of ACV.

Helens umbilical cord still hasn’t fallen off and is still on this morning. It is dried up and doesn’t seem to bother her. I don’t see anyone peeking it.

Helen is prone to pasty butt as well (as was our other barred rock chick Harriet). I’ve had to wash her bum 3 times.

My 2 Rhode Island reds have been thriving. Neither have had pasty butt.

Should I be worried? What is going on with Helen - is there anything more I can do? Don’t think it has to do with the brooder since the rhode islands are fine. Is it bad for the umbilical cord to
not fall off yet?

Thanks!

561AF4DC-37AD-4442-804E-45303DF081D1.jpeg

I would leave the cord alone, it will fall off in due time.

How warm is your brooder?

Im using a brooder plate. I just raised it a hair since they are a week old so 90 degrees. Room
Temp is about 60 in my basement. I use an infrared thermometer to take the temp 3x a day.

I am completely new to chickens so take this with a grain of salt . But our red star chick, or what I think is a red star, had her umbilical cord for over a week before it fell off.

Oh, that makes me feel better! I feel like everything I read says a couple days so I was getting worried.

Back
Top Bottom