umbilical cord on hatching peep?? HELP!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dekel18042, Jan 25, 2014.

1. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    #9 just hatched, a fairly large peep for the egg. The shell is in two halves, but it looks like he is stuck to one half with an umbical cord. What is it? What do we do? Let it dry and hope it comes off? Can it be soaked off? Cut it? (Don't really want to do that.)

2. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    don't cut- I try to keep it together until chick kicks it off- keep it close to his body by putting him in a towel or a sock. it will fall off.

3. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

X2 that is the best advice you can get and this will happen time to time [​IMG]

4. Jessshan8

Jessshan8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2012
    Kalispell, Mt
    I really hate to disagree with you guys but I have had a couple chicks with this same situation. The first one I left it alone and it ended up drying onto something and the chick ripped it off further injuring itself and didn't make it. What I would recommend it using dental floss to tie it off ( tied just tight enough to cut off any chance of fluid/blood coming out be careful if you do it too tight it will cut through it ) then snip it off about 1/8" past the tied spot. Also cut the the ends of the strings back so other chicks don't use them as toys.

5. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    people have to do what they feel comfortable doing- if you cut it and don't tie it could bleed out. I like to just let it fall off.

6. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

I am sure everyone has their own tricks but you should not
    leave the chick unsupervised long enough to dry out and
    yes I do understand is only takes about 10 to 15 minuets
    for the drying to take place but most people try to keep a
    fresh water spray bottle near the incubator for just such an
    occasion as this or for other sticky situations .........

7. Jessshan8

Jessshan8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2012
    Kalispell, Mt
    I must say I agree with you on this. A lesson hard learned for me.

1 person likes this.
  8. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I didn't have that happen to me- but then after you mentioned it I did. a chick hatched, cord still attached to egg- I was going to let the shell fall off naturally, I checked on it later, same thing cord dried to blanket it was on and when chick walked away it pulled out the insides. I will watch better next time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by