Umbilical cord or pasty butt?

Loralye

Chirping
Apr 6, 2020
Just picked up these 2/3 day old silkies from a hatchery and I've never had chicks before. Researched a bunch, but wanted to ask you guys. Do you think this is a dried up umbilical cord or pasty butt? I tried with warm q-tips and it is pretty hard, it looks like the vent is moving in an out slightly while I gently wipe. Also the chick seems to be fussing around the bum alot

Attachments

• 20200425_104046.jpg
    20200425_104046.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 71
Looks like pasty butt to me. Just keep at it with some warm water, sometimes you have to get it really moist. I use the corner of an wet washcloth and hold it on their butts for a minute or so to loosen things up. The hardest part is keeping the chicks warm while doing it.

Looks like pasty butt to me. Just keep at it with some warm water, sometimes you have to get it really moist. I use the corner of an wet washcloth and hold it on their butts for a minute or so to loosen things up. The hardest part is keeping the chicks warm while doing it.
I did it! Man.... my first chick mama test. I managed to get a tiny bit of vaseline on as well as per a video I watched. She does seem sleepier than the rest....maybe because I had to wipe her a couple times... I'll make her drink a bit more water with vitamins etc.

Just picked up these 2/3 day old silkies from a hatchery and I've never had chicks before. Researched a bunch, but wanted to ask you guys. Do you think this is a dried up umbilical cord or pasty butt? I tried with warm q-tips and it is pretty hard, it looks like the vent is moving in an out slightly while I gently wipe. Also the chick seems to be fussing around the bum alot
Looks like pasty butt. The cord is like a little string that goes to there belly button. We got a small tray or warm water and dipped them in it and wiped it off.

I gently worked the poop off, I also put a tiny bit of vaseline on as I read that would help. After some electrolyte water she has perked right back up and is active like the others. Every time she poops she fusses over her butt. It appears swollen and very exposed, I'm not sure if that is lack of feathers in the area or if it is matted up from the vaseline.... I'm not sure where to go from here. The other 3 aren't picking on her butt that much.... I could try to get creative and isolate but not sure how I would do that at the moment and would rather not...
Would polysporine be okay to put on the vent? How can I bring down the swelling or will it get better on it's own? She's 3 days old. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom