Umbilical Cord Still Attached 24 Hours Later?

weeboing

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 17, 2012
We have a chick who is still attached to the shell by the umbilical cord. S/he hatched about 20 hours ago... The cord does not look to be dried at all yet and is still wet and red/bloody...

What should we do?

ETA: S/he is also not very active and just sits there mostly... Still seems a little wet... S/he'll walk around for a little bit and then collapse...

Last edited:
I'm sorry I didn't read that right. Is there anyway to get it out of the bator and take the shell off. Get a Q-tip and wet it with warm water so the cord gets soft and try to take the shell off without taking the umbilical cord off.

Last edited:
It's been out of it's shell... It's just dragging the shell along... Do you mean unattach the shell from the umbilical cord?

Thank you so much for responding!

I reread your response and didn't read it right either ;o)

I got a q-tip and separated the chick from the shell... S/he seems a little happier now... It's still all bloody but should start drying out now that it is not attached..

Thank you again!

your welcome. Good luck with HER.
wink.png

I reread your response and didn't read it right either ;o)

I got a q-tip and separated the chick from the shell... S/he seems a little happier now... It's still all bloody but should start drying out now that it is not attached..

Thank you again!

Back
Top Bottom