1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Umbilical Cord Still Attached 24 Hours Later?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by weeboing, Apr 14, 2012.

1. weeboing

weeboing Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2012
    We have a chick who is still attached to the shell by the umbilical cord. S/he hatched about 20 hours ago... The cord does not look to be dried at all yet and is still wet and red/bloody...

What should we do?

ETA: S/he is also not very active and just sits there mostly... Still seems a little wet... S/he'll walk around for a little bit and then collapse...

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  2. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I'm sorry I didn't read that right. Is there anyway to get it out of the bator and take the shell off. Get a Q-tip and wet it with warm water so the cord gets soft and try to take the shell off without taking the umbilical cord off.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  3. weeboing

Mar 17, 2012
    It's been out of it's shell... It's just dragging the shell along... Do you mean unattach the shell from the umbilical cord?

Thank you so much for responding!

4. weeboing

Mar 17, 2012
    I reread your response and didn't read it right either ;o)

I got a q-tip and separated the chick from the shell... S/he seems a little happier now... It's still all bloody but should start drying out now that it is not attached..

Thank you again!

5. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    your welcome. Good luck with HER. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by