1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Umbilical Cord

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BaileyJean, Apr 16, 2012.

1. BaileyJean

BaileyJean Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Kentucky
    My Coop
    I had a chick hatch this morning. It has been in the incubator for 31 days, I know that is forever! But it is hatched and seems to be doing well, other than the umbilical cord is wrapped around its leg. This is limited its mobility because it cannot move its leg very well. Can I cut or tie off the cord? Do I need to put Iodine or something on it?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Yes, snip that! If it looks dried up, just snip it, if it looks like it could bleed, then tie it with a piece of thread, and snip it just beyond that.

3. Desirai

Desirai Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2011
    Alabama
    if it's around his leg it could be very dangerous. I don't know as much about chickens as I do cats though.

When my cat had her first litter of kittens, she didn't know to lick off the umbilical or eat the placentas, so I had to cut them off. I tied dental floss very tightly about an inch out from the stomach, then took clean scissors and snipped it off past the floss. It prevents bleeding and things like that.

If a cord dries around a leg or body part it can cut off circulation and cause loss of limb. You should definitely snip it off of its leg. If it's starting to dry already, tying it with floss may not be necessary but better safe than sorry. :)

4. BaileyJean

BaileyJean Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Kentucky
    My Coop
    We got the cord off of his leg, and then we snipped it with scissors. He seems to be doing fine now. Thanks for the replies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by