Umbilical Something Or Other???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BreezeCrestChickens, Apr 14, 2012.

1. BreezeCrestChickens

BreezeCrestChickens Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2011
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Well...I had 2 chicks hatch today. This first one is perfect as ever. The other one is kinda...well its different. The first one is a mutt, took 23hrs and 45 mins from pip to hatch. The second one is an easter egger and took 30 hrs from pip to hatch. I had to move the first chick because it kept knocking the EE over in the incubator. It took an awful long time for the EE to become detached from its shell via umbilical cord. Once it did, it just kinda flopped around. It moves around alot now but it hasn't pooped yet when the other one did within the first hour and the EE has been out of the shell now for...4 hours. It also has a red sac coming from where the umbilical cord was. There's also a long strand of something probably 2 inches long trailing behind it. It kinda looks like a long hair, its white with a small black tip. I'll try to get pictures but it doesn't like the light on my camera (it has an orange light to warn you of a picture being taken).

2. BreezeCrestChickens

BreezeCrestChickens Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2011
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Still won't let me get a good picture of his little red hernia thingy. The long hair thing I've determined is probably actually his umbilical cord. He's starting to peck at one of eggs attempting to peel some of its shell off to unzip so I'm going to move him to the brooder box with my other chick and hope that they'll get along alright. The EE is stronger now too so I don't think my mutt will bull him over now. Any ideas of what that red sac is would be great. When he decides to stop being a bumcake and I can get a good picture I will :/ Or maybe I'll upload his hatch video as you can see it pretty good in that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by