Umbrella cockatoo FS in SW PA

bugladyleah

Songster
11 Years
Apr 7, 2008
PA
We are considering re-homing our umbrella cockatoo. He is approx. 15 years old, DNA'd male, fully feathered. He doesn't really have any "bad" habits...just typical cockatoo stuff (screaming and chewing). I want him to go to someone who has bird experience (preferably cockatoo experience). He will not be sold for a "breeding only" situation. He is a sweetie and a pet. We are located about an hour south of Pittsburgh. I am asking 1000.00, which includes his cage, toys, etc. Please PM me for more info/pics, etc.

Thanks, Leah

Last edited:
This guy is still available...anyone out there interested??? I would consider meeting to get this guy a good home (within reason, of course!)

Thanks for your input...it is a lot.....less than what I paid! These birds are pricey, especially compared to chickens : ) The cage alone is over 500$. Anyone familiar with parrots will know this.

I can't take him, but I do have a few names of people who are into parrots rescue and adoption. If for any reason your situation gets desperate, let me know and I can give you a few phone numbers. They would be able to make arrangements to get the bird. It seems like you are just trying to find him a good home though, so I really do wish you the best of luck! It is tough re-homing animals (especially if they have been pets!), and cockatoos can be especially difficult to place.

Good luck, and let me know if I can help!

Thanks for the info. We actually have a really good rescue here in Pittsburgh that my husband and I used to be very active in (before kids!) and I NEVER in a million years thought I would be one of "those people" who re-homes their birds b/c of kids.....yet here I am! I have 4 parrots right now and the cockatoo just requires so much attention that I feel like I am doing him an injustice. There just isn't enough of me to go around anymore. Anyway, thanks again.

Leah

That's understandable. Cockatoos are really really difficult. We have quite a few at the sanctuary where I work and they can be a real handful! The mollucans are the worst. They are definitely the Jeckyll and Hydes of the bird world! One day they will be all cuddly and the next they'll want to kill you. It's tough for us to deal with it in the sanctuary, so I can't even imagine having to deal with that in a private home!

My sympathies! I can stand in a room full of screaming Amazons (and have done so many times) with a big smile on my face -- but I will NOT have a cockatoo in my home.
barnie.gif
tongue.gif

Good luck with your efforts!

Quote:
OMG!!! We have a rescued Moluccan who was SEVERELY abused. He's Jekyll and Hyde in spades but he's here and he's safe after his violent abuse, poisoning and neglect he's at least found a place he's welcome and cared for. I got him for me because I'm always here but he had the wisdom and perverse nature to love Laura instead. I'm chopped liver. Thems parrots for you. Sigh. But I do love him and he's gone from screaming and lunging and panicking to an almost normal Too. It's taken years but he's improved tons.

Cockatoo ownership and rescue is some serious stuff. Finding a new home, is no simple thing, and too many people with 1000 still don't have the sense and experience to keep one. They JUST think they want a cockatoo until they have one, then they find out it's a wild animal with it's own emotions, priorities and agendas and it's own NEEDS. Most other parrots aren't even on the same scale. Heck other parrots are easy compared to cockatoos.

Hugs and good luck, but he's probably happier with less attention in a familiar place then the hazards of a new home.

We were Sunny's SIXTH home and each change scarred him even when they did no harm or meant well.

Once he's out of your hands he could be passed on or dumped to any one. The outcome could be ugly.

We use to have a cockatoo (sulfur crested) they can be a handful but sooo sweet and loving at times. I would suggest listing him on craigslist to seel there. He will probably go fast. Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom