umm might be too small

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by tgblldog70, Aug 2, 2011.

1. tgblldog70

tgblldog70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    hello , a few mths ago I bought a coop online from hayneedle and the coop is great easy to put together my 4 hens and rooster love it but I have a feeling it might be alittle small and the wife wants a silkie and in the spring I would like to try my hand at hatching a few eggs so my daughter can watch the progression of life, we really are tight on cash at this point and buying a bigger coop is out of the question since the one i bought cost $350 . does anyone have an idea on what we could due to help me out and as far as $$$$ we have some extra but I kinda freak out every week over bills and gas $$$ so craigs list is out too, and I dont care to throw some eye sore up to fix the issue since I like to have very clean and upkept yard and house!!!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Pallets are free, as are construction scraps (usually,) and if you have some leftover paint you can do a lot with them. Or buy "goof" paint (wrong color was mixed.) I once built a brooder out of discarded stuff I picked up behind a furniture store.

3. tgblldog70

tgblldog70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    thanks ddawn never thought of that!!![​IMG]

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I would also suggest pallets. Factories often leave them stacked up in their parking lots, near the road, and offer them for free. In fact, I just bought a nice coop of of CL, for only $100, that is made from pallets. It looks kind of cute.

Let me find the pic for you......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by