Umm not laying great why?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Needycowgirl, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Needycowgirl

Needycowgirl Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2011
    Spokane Valley
    Ok am I a chicken idiot?
    I have 9 young girls. 7 have been laying an egg a day for months Now suddenly I am lucky to get 3 a day. My Auracana was the first to stop..easy to tell because I am not getting my blue egg anymore [​IMG]. They are all eating normally, drinking normal, pooping normal, playing normal.
    Is it the time of year?
    Its unseasonably warm right now.
    I am just at a loss.....
    Any ideas much appreciated.

2. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    Less sun. Your girls are getting some well deserved rest. They will tend to produce less until spring... Then watch out!

3. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

I gave mine 12 hours per day of light last winter, more so I could see to feed and water and clean before and after work than trying to get more eggs out of them,and they laid great all winter. Here we still have 12 hours of light each day so I assume you do too. Maybe the heat is bothering them. I remember when mine were first laying we had a super windy day and not a single hen out of 5 laid that day. Any other changes or upsets going on? If they're on their second fall they may be moulting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by