1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ummm, do they really get THAT BIG????

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Rae Scott, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Rae Scott

Rae Scott Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2017
    Northeast Ohio
    Ok, if you havent seen it there is a video circulating on Facebook of a gigantic Brahma roo and i mean GIGANTIC, if that wasnt shocking enough towards the end of the video a hen comes into view and she is dang near as freaking big as he is!!! Is that normal??? If not then how did it get that big, its the size of a grown woman!!! What size eggs does an chicken that size lay??? And more importantly, where can i get one that big?

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    LOL, you need to go back and look again------That's a Light Brahma rooster and hen---they are big/good size but not huge/monster---the hens are always smaller than the rooster but Not even close to a grown woman---that block at the bottom of the steps is 7 1/2" tall so the rooster might be 24" tall at his back and the hen is shorter. Maybe I am looking at a different post---but I do not think so,

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  3. Rae Scott

Feb 26, 2017
    Northeast Ohio
    The one i saw was a giant white and black roo with feathered legs and he looked HUGE to me. He was coming out of the coop and i got no clue how he got through the door he looked so big. Like i said, to me he looked HUGE and as i wat hed i just wanted to know 1 can a chicken even get that big 2 what size eggs would a chicken that size lay 3 where can i get one that big and then 4 do i REALLY WANT a chicken that would be that big? So i came to my favorite chicken site to ask[​IMG][​IMG]

4. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    LOL, its the same as I seen---coming out a round hole in a green nesting box----yes they are big chickens------but without a person standing in there with them---it would be hard for some to compare.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  5. Rae Scott

Feb 26, 2017
    Northeast Ohio
    Ah, given i have never been around chickens that size i guess it makes sense. Lol my vet used to rescue chickens but they were never over a foot or so tall maximum (the biggest rooster the rest were like 8-10"). Given i am only around 5' then Brahmas would be nearly half my height and i think i will stear clear. Lol

1 person likes this.
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I saw that bird too, I believe there are a few breeders that worked to get them HUGE, and they charge a fortune for them

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

8. chameleon

chameleon Chillin' With My Peeps

I just watched the video again, and as a size reference there appears to be a Coca-Cola bottle attached to the wall just after the roo steps out of the coop. So yeah, he's huge, but nowhere near the size of an adult human.

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Something there....you must have better eyes than I if you see it as a coke bottle..and even if... what size coke bottle, 6oz or 2 liter?

10. Rae Scott

Feb 26, 2017
    Northeast Ohio
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by