ummm i pretty sure something is wrong here?? help?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jackrooster, May 13, 2010.

1. jackrooster

jackrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2010
    Maine
    something is wrong with 2 of my cochin chicks........at first i thought this is a bad molt and it will get better. buut it kept getting wrose and now one is pretty much bolded and the only feather are on his head and his frizzle feathers on his wings ........ can someone help me?

[​IMG]
    The little frizzle

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Not too familiar with frizzles, but my guess is that she's a doubble frizzle which lends itself to featherloss.

3. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    If it's not from molting have you dusted for mites? Maybe that is an issue. Poor thing. I hope they grow back soon.

4. jackrooster

Jan 17, 2010
    Maine
    ummm does that go away it self??? because i dont want all my other chicks infected???

5. jackrooster

Jan 17, 2010
    Maine
    anyone ???

6. CheerfulHeart2

CheerfulHeart2 Creative Problem Solver

Apr 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Try doing a search on mites. You should find a lot of info. There is a dusting powder of some kind people talk about and I think you have to clean the roosting area also. You might do a search to see how to confirm that it is mites

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If it is mites, you can see them at the feathers and on the birds. However mites will damage feathers, not make a bird go bald. Mites can be treated with topical powders like poultry dust or sevn dust. They are an external paracite that can go from animal to animal. I suspect what you have there is genetic. Look up doubble frizzle.

8. jackrooster

Jan 17, 2010
    Maine
    this is also starting to happen with my normal cochin?? and it dosent look like there are any mite on them ..........i couldnt see any ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by