ummm I'm an urban farmer;)

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by dntd, May 22, 2010.

1. dntd

dntd Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2009
    Today I went to a few garden centers and when asked what I was looking for , I replies "edible plants" ( didn't say heirloom or organic as 85% of my gardens are)as I refuse to grow anything but edible plants.They look at me like I had two head! I also explain even in my front yard we have started to only plant edibles. Why is it odd to plant food type plants? I mean have we gotten that far from nature that we honestly need to plant gardens that are 100% useless?

2. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Nope, here (so cal) "ediable landscaping" is on the front of the "green" vibe, so you're chic.

3. dntd

Dec 4, 2009
    Were a bit backwards then;) Of course when people get used to something they tend not to stray from it. I think it's fun to use all parts of my yard for possibilities, I have 6 planters even on my front stairs with strawbarries( yellow and red) and 5 planters with veggies in pots in the front) that just happened to match the planters but were saved from the trash by my son:)

4. saddina

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Cucumbers make lovely vines for the front yard, and are more useful than ivy.

5. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:How sad is it that we now refer to it this way................................ will it never end ??. If you are growing a veggie garden at your suburban/urban home, your a gardner not a farmer, there is a difference and a big one.

AL

6. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I love digging up more of my lawn each year and replacing it with edibles.Every tree,shurb,vine,or plant has to give me (or the pets) somthing edible.Suprisingly my neighbors had no idea I was growing veggies in the front yard...not that I would care! And I am far enough from the road to avoid hand pickers that walk by.

Unfortunately the local wildlife population has discovered my little *unfenced* oasis.

7. saddina

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Only thing non-ediable i've planted in the last year was some jasmine Mr Saddi asked for, the man never asks for anything so when he does I make it happen. [​IMG]

Oh and Aloe, but with 3 blondes in the family it's used alot. [​IMG]

8. dntd

Dec 4, 2009
    Quote:How sad is it that we now refer to it this way................................ will it never end ??. If you are growing a veggie garden at your suburban/urban home, your a gardner not a farmer, there is a difference and a big one.

AL

I think the big differance is that I have rabbits and chickens many "gardeners" don't, my yard only has food growing and If it was possible I would have milk goats and have a few gardens for charities.

9. augustmomx2

augustmomx2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Central Indiana

AL

I think the big differance is that I have rabbits and chickens many "gardeners" don't, my yard only has food growing and If it was possible I would have milk goats and have a few gardens for charities.

Agreed [​IMG] Coming from an Urban Farmer as well [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by