Ummm its prob been discussed b4 but...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Shiyanne, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Shiyanne

Shiyanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2017
    Florida
    Im sorry if this has been answered or is in a long ago post, im still learning the site..

I went to clean the icky poo from my coop and perches (done as needed usually at least once a week) and i noticed a curly worm.... Reminded me of a canine worm.. Only 2 hens sit on this particular perch.. Is it from the hens? And what do i do???

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If it was thin and long, it probably was a roundworm. I'm sure that someone might be able to help you identify it if you can post a picture. You can also take a few droppings in to your local vet for a fecal float, since worm eggs and certain worms are not seen in droppings.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

4. Shiyanne

Jan 22, 2017
    Florida
    I think is the roundworm. Long, whitish thin. What do i do?

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Roundworms are the most common chicken worm, but there can be others. I like Valbazen since that is what I have. It gets most all chicken worms with 1/2 ml for a 5 pound hen, 3/4 ml for a large hen or a rooster, then repeat that dose in 10-14 days. Toss out eggs for 14 days after last dose. Others use SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer or equine paste. Give 1/4 ml per pound once and repeat in 10 days for roundworms. To treat for more difficult worms you can give that 3 days in a row. For capillary worms and all others, give it for 5 days. Some people use Wazine17 or piperazine in the water for 24 hours, but it only treats roundworm. If you take some fresh droppings into your vet for a fecal float, they can tell you what worms are present.

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  6. Shiyanne

Jan 22, 2017
    Florida
    Thank u.

I heard you can give apple cider vinegar? I dont like to use "home remedies" unless they are proven useful? What do you guys think?

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    As a wormer?

8. Shiyanne

Jan 22, 2017
    Florida

Yea... Sounds a bit too simple... Wat u think?

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    It's not a wormer... Plenty of people use it and still have parasite problems.

10. Shiyanne

Jan 22, 2017
    Florida

Ok thank you..

How do i figure out who is infected? Or do i just dose them all?? Is it like cats where if one has they all do? And do i need to do anything with the coop and run?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by