1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

ummm? my broody looks funny.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by shmooborp, Jun 12, 2008.

1. shmooborp

shmooborp artistic fowlism

ok so this is my first time having a broody hen. shes on day 4ish and when i went out to check her this morning her comb was REALLLLLLYYYYYYY pale. like compared to the normal fire engine red. her earlobs and wattles and comb were almost white. like flesh colored. i didnt know if has anything to do with here being broody or not. but i do know that when hens stop laying or arnt laying thier combs arnt as red, but idk if that is true. srry for te stupid question. and yes she has food and water very close by. within reach. thanks

2. shmooborp

i still dont know why.. mabye dehidrated? she has water within reach! i have no idea.. now im worried!! ahhh!

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Hmm... is it hot where you are? Usually they will be bright red and firely while broody. Make sure she eats and drinks. Take her out and make her. If she sits too tight, might be best to break her.

4. shmooborp

its been in the 50s and 60s until today.. its probly like 70s. she has been sitting REALLY tight, hasnt even left the nest for a half a second... i dont wanna break her!!! [​IMG] that would be so devestating!!!

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Hand feed her. Cooked rice, chopped greens, yogurt, chick starter. Keep clean water as close to her as you can.

6. shmooborp

she is eating. i have a bowl of layer and some scratch next to her,, she has been eating that, but i havent seen her drink at all. and the bowl of water hasnt gone down at all.. should i switch to a diffrent food????

7. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Mine is the same way.... Pale as a ghost but when i bring her outside her comb turns red again but as soon as she goes back into her box she turns pale again. I have been giving her vitamins and electrolytes in her water and make sure she has feed and water right in front of her at all times.

8. fun monitor

fun monitor Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    southern california
    My broody hen is the same way. If I take her out of her crate for a scheduled break every day, she regains her color. I can tell when she's ready for a break when she's all pale and washed out. She's good at getting food from the feeder herself, but I give her a couple of worms whenever I weed and the first few days I had to dip her beak in water. But she's all good now!

Look familiar? It freaked me out too!

[​IMG]

9. shmooborp

yup! thats how she looks! she seems to be fine now.. but she sits sooo tight! shees been on the nest since i gave her the eggs to hatch... thats like almost 10 days! she has NEVER left the nest once, shes a buff orpington , and i hear they are good brooders and mothers.. so i hope she likes her babies.. and i candled and they all have viens..
    ALL 3!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by