ummmm.... explain this one. Hen Rouen tries to mate with drake?

ticks

Pheasant Obsessed
11 Years
Apr 1, 2008
The Sticks, Vermont
Everyday when I fill my birds' pond my ducks always get there first. The drakes try to mate with the hen (I have too many drakes, but I am getting rid of them thursday) there is one drake that she tries to uhh mount? What is up with that? She bites his neck and tries to get on top of him, just like the drakes do to him. Is this a gender confused duck or is it a dominance thing?

are you sure that its the hen on the drake? maybe its dominance? not sure. i have too many drakes too (hopefully getting more girls soon) and the drakes will get on top of each other in the pond when they are fighting as a dominance thing. they sometimes pig-pile on my hen, i feel so bad for her! but we've got the drakes seperated now so she's safe and so are they. maybe she picked a drake that she likes and this drake that she is "mounting" could be challenging him. my hen stands up for her drake. she'll bite the other boys until they stop.

sometimes drakes can appear as a duck. some don't get a drake feather. as a kind, smart chick told me once, "Listen to their voice".

it may very well be a dominance thing if they are the sex you believe them to be.

I am positive there is three drakes and 1 hen. The drakes have a raspy sound and the hen has a loud quack.

this is what three look like
tongue.png

pics.jpg

I don't know if that photo was of the girl or boy? looks like a boy.. You do know at auctions and sales its common to cut the curl of a drakes tail and sell it as a hen? right? or some will actually change sex. My son had a blue cochin roo he showed to many BB and then turned around and did the same thing wiht it as a hen.. All those judges coudn't have been wrong..

green heads!! sorry, just love them. cute picture by the way i love it. it looks professional. i have some mallards (obviously not rouens) that are wild and are sharing the pond with my pekin ducks at the moment. they aren't really friends but thankfully they don't fight. i don't need any more ducks fighting.

its a dominance thing...my ducks do it to my chicken hens when they try to grab the greens out of their pool...
lol.png

the coloring denotes male. hmmmm...maybe your duck wants to be a WWF star or something! i tell you, these young whipper snapper ducks coming up these days! it's not right! not right!

hope you can find an answer!
frow.gif

Quote:
poor chickens! what kind of duck? if it was my pekin drake chubby (who lives up to his name) would squish the poor chickens!! i'd have to change his name to squisher!

Quote:
poor chickens! what kind of duck? if it was my pekin drake chubby (who lives up to his name) would squish the poor chickens!! i'd have to change his name to squisher!

lol..no, its poor duckies! the hens steal their greens i give them in their smimming pool!..they perch on the rim of the pool and grab the kale (or whatever) out of it... the ducks get sooo mad at them!
lol.png
they dont hurt the hens...just do the dominace thing and chase them off....*heck, the chickens are almost bigger than the ducks!
lau.gif
...* the adult ducks i have outside now are a blue swedish and a reoun(sp?) ...

Back
Top Bottom