Ummmm...hello (not so smart Border Collie)

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by ChooksinChoppers, Oct 24, 2011.

1. ChooksinChoppers

ChooksinChoppers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    This is Rosie

[​IMG]

This is Rosie's bed

[​IMG]

This is Dory..wanting to share Rosie bed

[​IMG]

This is the result ....poor Dory!

[​IMG]

Actually..poor me! I am so tired of hearing the growling and snarling coming from Rosie all the time because Dory doesnt understand
    WHY she can't share the bed/toy/food bowl! Every day there is a new round of pwease can I? and Dory just doesnt get it!
    Rosie hates the cold and you would think she would love a fluffy puppy to curl up with right?
    But no...Dory is always getting the alien teeth from Rosie [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  2. xchairity_casex

xchairity_casex Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    doesnt dory have her own bed?
    also i personaly would step in when ever dory "doesnt get it" lead her away,distract her with a toy,call her to her own place to lie,tell her NO
    becuase if you let this go rosie may become quite nervous of dory and feel thretened to the point of attacking her or dory might grow up being pushy and not listening to those growls from other dogs in turn causeing serious dogs fights
    trust me dory "Gets it" she understands what it means she is being stubborn and trying to get her own way by acting dumb.
    its a tactic dogs will use when they want somthing my boy cesar trys to pull it on my sisters toy poodle not as much as when we first brought him home though when she has food or a toy the poodle will growl and he will stand there like an idiot and he knows if he stands there long enough the poodle kira will exhuast herself and "give up" rosie will be small compared to dory when shes an adult so work on this now before it becomes a problem where rosie feels the need to guard from dory and dory learns to disrespect rosies growls as well as other dogs growls. i always feel that the smaller dog should always be allowed to have the upper hand so to speak simply becuase its a safety net.
    you want the smaller of the dogs to recieve as much respect from a larger dog as possable as well as older dogs from younger dogs. because even if you dont have an aggressive dog younger dogs and bigger dogs can accedentally hurt smaller or older dogs in play and if they learn to ignore the younger or older dogs responses or signals like growls they will continue to play rough with them even though the older or smaller dog is being hurt.

3. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    [​IMG] Poor sweet little Dory. She needs her own bed.

4. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I agree with the PP's. Dogs are territorial and don't understand the concept of sharing - it goes against nature, where it is each dog for him/herself, if they want to survive. If space is an issue, you might consider getting each dog a smaller bed, rather than asking them to share one big bed.

5. ChooksinChoppers

ChooksinChoppers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    Oh sorry guys (and I really do appreciate your advice, keep it coming!) Dory has her own bed in a crate...maybe not as nice as Rosie's but it has a pillow and that is where she is given her chewy bones and is happy to sleep there all night. Rosie sleeps on my bed at night and always has all her 12 years.
    Rosie is boss in this house and she has had several litters of puppies, so she knows what she is doing...If Dory didnt roll over and act submissive Rosie would give her what for and probally draw blood. On the other hand...you guys may be right, Rosie is getting older and cranky and will be smaller than Dory. I can't really see Dory retaliating but then when teen dogs go in heat...Hmmm been there done that and it wasnt pleasant especially with 2 terriers, so I wont do that again. I kinda thought with Dory being a collie she may not have that problem?
    Training with Dory is going well...I move into her space when she jumps on me and when she is in the kitchen (definate no no in my house)
    she sits with a hand signal, and when i set down her food bowl. She knows she wont get any attention if she puts her feet on me when i am sitting, (except a push down) and then a pet session when and ONLY when she is sitting and will get a knee in the chest when she jumps on me while I am standing. She is almost close to getting the potty outside thing [​IMG] She (Dory) wasnt well socialized and is also in the fear stage at 14 weeks old so i have to be carefull not to do stupid stuff like dragging the trash can out while I have her on leash trying to do 2 chores at once. [​IMG] This has become a very complicated doggy household with the 2 peekapoo/shihtzu puppies at 6 weeks old as well. Rosie says they are fine as long as they stay in the xpen or cant jump on the couch where she hides out (I keep them in an Xpen in the living room) but Dory has short play sessions with them and is a bit rough so I watch closely.
    Probally bit off more than I can chew as usual in my life [​IMG] At least I am home all day for them, so training tips welcome! Been watching lots of Cesar Milan on the puter LOL

6. xchairity_casex

xchairity_casex Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    aww dory sounds like seh is learning very quickly! congratz to you! keep up the great work
    once a dog begins going thru "puberty" so to speak at around 6 months of age untill about 1 year (sometimes untill 2 or 3 years) they test all dogs do it even spayed and neuterd ones they will test tere boundrys with there humans and with elder dogs even there moms and dads if they grow up with them they are just feeling there way out in life and if she is "ignoreing" or "playing dumb" to rosies growls now then you can bet when shes almost a year she will be ignoreing her bites as well. i know it seems like "oh great one more thing on my plate to deal with" i feel liek that all the time with cesar it seems we just get one thing taken care of and somthing else pops up! dont worry with your guidence she will grow up to be a wonderful happy dog and rosie will thank you for it [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by