Un-egg bound hen only drinking?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gabbyscritters, Dec 13, 2011.

1. gabbyscritters

gabbyscritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    fredonia, wi
    One of my daughters Ameraucana pullets was egg bound today. I took her into the vet (lost the last egg bound hen we had). The vet found a soft, shellless egg. The egg ended up breaking but the contents and the soft shell-less egg came right out. We washed up the hen and took her home. She ate a bit of scrambled egg when she got home. She has been in the bathroom with a small heater going since noon. She has had no more interest in food but has been drinking like a fish! I put vitamin/electrolytes in the water. She has had several very large poops, all milky watery looking.

I am thinking that it is good that she is drinking, just wish she would eat a little to firm up her poops. I think we will keep he inside for the night to keep her warm and less stressed. She has been in the house before for baths so she does not get too stressed about it.

She is fluffed up and seems to like the warmth, she perks up when we come in but still is fluffy.
    Any ideas on how they progress after being egg bound.

2. gabbyscritters

Mar 28, 2009
    fredonia, wi
    No help. Someone has to have some ideas about recovery.

This afternoon I thought she seemed to be doing alright, really thought she would turn around.
    She is not looking so good now, tail fully down, no interest in drinking anymore and she had her beak partially opened for awhile.
    She ate the little bit of egg around noon but has not eaten anymore since. She drank Alot of water, I think maybe too much. She would drink so much her cuffs and breast were all wet.
    She is on a heating pad in the bathroom.
    Were Hoping for the best but I'm afraid she don't be perky in the morning.

3. navychick

navychick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Sorry I can't offer any advice but I'm rooting for her recovery.

4. gabbyscritters

Mar 28, 2009
    fredonia, wi
    Well , this morning she is more alert, looking around the bathroom. She walked off the heating pad and went over to the water bowl. Yesterday the would drink if you help the bowl up in front of her.
    I'm glad she has slightly improved and not gotten worse. Wasn't sure what We would find in the bathroom this morning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by