un-scaring chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mote36, Mar 4, 2014.

1. mote36

mote36 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2014
    OK so I have a quick question, I just got some chicks from tsc. They're about a week and a half old close to two weeks. They are still very skiddish. Talking to an old timer he said to just go in with them every time I feed them and speed some food on the ground and pick them up for a little etc etc. Till they stop being scared. Will this work? Am I rushing the hole skiddish thing? Or is there a better way to make them be less scared of my big paw?

2. CutlassL29

CutlassL29 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2013
    Swansea, MA
    We just got our chicks from TSC last Thursday and they seem very happy in the brooder. Our brooder is in a 3 season room.

I just started to get them to eat from my hand a few days ago and one of them even stood on my hand. A little chick feed on closed fingers, slow gradual movements as quick jerky movement will spook them, keep hand flat as possible, still and just over the pine shavings. When you've had enough slowly lift your hand away. This has worked for me and we are new at this.
    I think in the learning section of this site there's an article on socializing your chicks.

Good luck!

3. Cacique500

Cacique500 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2013
    Atlanta, Georgia
  4. hens number1

hens number1 New Egg

Dec 2, 2013
    I had great time with my chicks. I just moved slow, gave them a lot of treats and spent time with them. They are so friendly as long as you are gentle and calm with them. [​IMG]

5. mote36

Feb 24, 2014
    I watched your video. Ive been trying to do the hand thing with no luck but they are young

6. Silkiehen

Silkiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2014
    I bought some from TSC too! Mine will be 3 weeks old next Tuesday! Mine are still very skittish even though I handle them daily and give them treats. I hope mine get used to me soon!

7. lghrnlvr

lghrnlvr Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2013
    orangeburg sc
    It might just be the breed you bought. I got my white leghorns from tsc and they have always been skiddish. I handled them all the time when they were young and it didnt help. if I have to grab one of them now I have to wait till dark and sneak up behind em lol. My Easter eggers are a lot more friendly and my light Brahma rooster is an attention hog.

8. Ren2014

Ren2014 Blessed Beyond Hope Premium Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    Do you know what breed they are? You said you just got them so I wouldn't be too worried. It takes patience and time. Be sure to talk to them so they learn your voice. Good luck.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  9. Silkiehen

Silkiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2014
    I have 1 White leghorn and she is the worst!

10. mote36

Feb 24, 2014

2 are Cornish x 2 are light brahmas and 6 are red pullets

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by