Unabsorbed yolk sac

christina123

In the Brooder
Jun 2, 2022
Update: the little guy wiggled out of the shell, but yolk sac is not fully absorbed. Looks like a pale pink ball (the size of a penny). I put the duckling (feet/butt side) back into the egg shell, and propped it up in a cup with a dry paper towel, and then back into the incubator (99.5 degrees F, ~70% humidity). Any tips for a successful outcome? I have been researching but I am reading mixed results.

Hi, I have a duck egg needing an assisted hatch.
It was a shipped egg with a severely saddled air cell.
Today is day 29. I was torn with timing- I didn’t want to help too soon but I didn’t want to help too late either.
I began the process with a safety hole. After 24+ hours there was no progress so this morning we began chipping away by the air sac.
It is still chewing so I know the yolk sac isn’t absorbed.
I found an article online for assisted hatches which I’ve been following.
But at this point I believe the only thing to do is put the egg back in the incubator and wait.
Can someone confirm this for me?
Please no negative comments. This egg is very special to us, and I really need advice for the best outcome.
Thank you!

Attachments

• B890690F-BDFD-4831-8B52-17DE40D24465.png
    B890690F-BDFD-4831-8B52-17DE40D24465.png
    785.8 KB · Views: 141
If it’s pink and not yellow it won’t be the yolk but the little belly swollen from just finishing the absorb
Can you take a photo so we can verify this. If it isn’t the yolk baby doesn’t need to be in the egg anymore and can be left as normal
Is there two eggs you are talking about ? Do you need help assisting a second egg ?
I have assisted plenty and all have done great

If it’s pink and not yellow it won’t be the yolk but the little belly swollen from just finishing the absorb
Can you take a photo so we can verify this. If it isn’t the yolk baby doesn’t need to be in the egg anymore and can be left as normal
Is there two eggs you are talking about ? Do you need help assisting a second egg ?
I have assisted plenty and all have done great
There is just one egg. It’s resting in the cup now. Do you think I should move it to take a pic, or wait a bit longer and check this afternoon? I appreciate your help and guidance! Just not sure if it would hurt the little guy to move him now. Thoughts?

There is just one egg. It’s resting in the cup now. Do you think I should move it to take a pic, or wait a bit longer and check this afternoon? I appreciate your help and guidance! Just not sure if it would hurt the little guy to move him now. Thoughts?
I would take a pic now
The yolk sac will be yellow
But babies belly’s can look very swollen and pink after they absorb
Also if it is the yolk when you put baby back in the egg wrap the egg and baby with dry paper towel. That way you can help to keep baby in a Comfy position

I would take a pic now
The yolk sac will be yellow
But babies belly’s can look very swollen and pink after they absorb
Also if it is the yolk when you put baby back in the egg wrap the egg and baby with dry paper towel. That way you can help to keep baby in a Comfy position
I attached a picture. Yolk or swollen belly from absorption?

Attachments

• 5C23814B-EC34-4E31-B11D-C138CC1E9FF1.jpeg
    5C23814B-EC34-4E31-B11D-C138CC1E9FF1.jpeg
    371.2 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Yes that’s the yolk ( mine are usually a lot more yellow )
That a pretty good size so baby will need to be in the shell for long while yet
Make sure to use the paper towel to wraps around baby and egg so it’s neck is supported
It also helps to keep the direct air from hitting the yolk so it doesn’t dry up
I would check him again in about 6-8 hours.
Once it’s just a tiny yolk ( pencil eraser size ) you can pull him from that shell but keep him on a dry paper towel in that bowl so he doesn’t move around to much
Keep us posted.
Also every so often go by and talk to him through the bator. Just so he knows you are there and he isn’t alone :)

Yes that’s the yolk ( mine are usually a lot more yellow )
That a pretty good size so baby will need to be in the shell for long while yet
Make sure to use the paper towel to wraps around baby and egg so it’s neck is supported
It also helps to keep the direct air from hitting the yolk so it doesn’t dry up
I would check him again in about 6-8 hours.
Once it’s just a tiny yolk ( pencil eraser size ) you can pull him from that shell but keep him on a dry paper towel in that bowl so he doesn’t move around to much
Keep us posted.
Also every so often go by and talk to him through the bator. Just so he knows you are there and he isn’t alone :)
Thank you. Will do. I had to change his position because he was trying to hop out of the cup. I secured him a bit more with adding another paper towel to stabilize the egg. Do you think he has a fighting chance? Sorry for all the questions. This is the first time I've experienced this.

Thank you. Will do. I had to change his position because he was trying to hop out of the cup. I secured him a bit more with adding another paper towel to stabilize the egg. Do you think he has a fighting chance? Sorry for all the questions. This is the first time I've experienced this.
I can’t say 100% as some babies are strong and others aren’t
But if he is on the strong side absolutely he should be just fine

Back
Top Bottom