1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Unabsorbed yolk sac

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tourettezelfarm, Jun 13, 2008.

1. tourettezelfarm

tourettezelfarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    Hi all. I had a chick hatch out today and it did not absorb the yolk sac. Is there any possiblity of survival for this little baby? Please advise. Thanks.

2. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

No, Im sorry to say this, but no. I had this happen and its best to cull it. What happens is the yolk sack will harden and be painful for the chick. I've been there, done that and threw out the incubator it happened in. I don't know what the cause, but the others in the bator had a rotton odor and it was horrible. take care and sorry for the no hope.

3. tourettezelfarm

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    The yolk sac did come off of him and the umbillical cord was absorbed. Does this change anything? I am trying to stay realistic, but he, at the moment, seems to be doing fine. Up and about playing with the other baby that hatched out last night.

4. muffi

muffi Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Ayer, Massachusetts
    I thought I had seen a post a few weeks back where someone said you can gently push on the sac to try to get it to go inside. I hope someone who knows for sure can respond.

Edit: Nevermind, just saw your new post. It sounds like he's doing well. I will keep my fingers crossed for him.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
  5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

I had one of my babies hatch out last week and 1/2 of the yolk sac was attached to him and then the cord fell off and he was totally fine. Is there any hole or anything on his tummy? If not I bet he's going to be just fine. Mine is thriving still today and growing like a weed!

6. tourettezelfarm

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    No hole, I just checked. His tummy looks the same as the other baby. He walks funny, but I don't know if that is because he is 4 hours old. This is my first experience with hatching. They are under 2 broody hens and they are being very good mom's. I haven't seen him eat or drink. I just don't know. I am so upset at the thought of losing this baby.

Thanks to all of you for your honesty and good wishes. I need to just accept that what will be will be.

7. ladywolfe

ladywolfe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Georgia
    I'm new to chickens but we had one who didn't absorb all the yolk and i thought he would be fine he ate and drank and played and then all of a sudden he started to go downhill and he died. Hope you have better luck though

8. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    Good luck with your baby chicky...I had one hatch yesterday with a little help and it still has the button where it absorbed the yolk sac...Hope it falls off soon.

9. tourettezelfarm

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    Well, we were doing okay, until another broody girl attacked the baby this afternoon. In the process, the mother's who are caring for these 2 babies and the rest of the eggs, left the eggs to protect the babies. I don't know how long they were off the eggs, but one baby who was hatching out didn't make it. We are devastated. Oh, it was beautiful. Bright yellow with a black stripe down the back. Nature has been unkind here the past few days. I am not expecting the rest to hatch.

So, yesterday's baby, has a wound to it's head. No blood, but kind of flappy skin. Not sure what is going to happen with it. The mother's are taking good care of it, but, who knows.

10. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    How is the baby now? Can you separate the mama/babies from the other hens?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by