Unabsorbed yolk- who has had success with this? Pics?

ChooksChick

BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist
15 Years
Aug 17, 2008
Larry, KS
My Coop
My Coop
I had to help (didn't do much but try to mimic incubation conditions) two chicks that are of 4 eggs that got left behind when momma got off the nest and went into Chick Parade mode.

I had a successful hatch night before last, and last night, was up all night keeping the conditions as stable as possible with a heating pad that shuts off every 7 minutes, a plastic shoebox, a baby thermometer, no hygrometer and lots of frustration. I couldn't sleep because the temp was always too hot or too cold every 10 minutes.

*SO* baby launched herself out of the shell and I discovered a red bulb of yolk sac still attached to her rump. I guess she didn't finish forming her rump-button.

It isn't bothering her, but it's not shrinking either, at about the size of a chocolate chip. It's fairly dry and since she's sleeping, it's not bothering her.

I'm wanting to slip her into the nest under momma but know I can't if this hasn't fallen off yet.

Who has experience with this and can anyone show pics so I can compare?

I have one like that right now in the bator, unfortunately its dying...
sad.png

I helped one of mine along last night and she had alot left. Today she is doing perfectly fine with only a lil left. Ive heard and seen this before, and she should do fine. Just give her one more day for it to shrink a lil before you give her back to mom. gl!

Whew!! Not nearly.

It just looks like a piece of pink-ish clay rolled up and stuck there. It's dry, too.

I imagine if it wasn't so small, I'd be flipping out. I'm pretty sure there isn't anything else it could be, so I'm going to let it be.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom