Unactive Chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by timmyiscool8, Mar 30, 2017.

1. timmyiscool8

timmyiscool8 New Egg

Mar 30, 2017
    Haha... No.
    My family just bought a couple of 3 week old chicks. We have raised chickens before, but never this young.

My siblimgs often handle and play with them (we got them yesterday) to get them used to us. Today after playing with otherwise healthy chicks, (one did have pasting. I took care of it) one of them (after being put back in the brooder) seemed to be very tired. At first we thought he was just tired, but after over 4 hours the chick kept layong there. Its wings spread oitwards and its head set down in the bedding. It got up once and ate like 4 small 'pellets' of feed. Ever since it lays there. I picked it up and set it on the ground outside of the brooder. It woke up and just stood there... I put it back in and came to the conclusion it might need cocci pills. But I am not sure. PLEASE HELP!

NOTE: all the other chicks are fine, eating, sleeping, drinking water, and running around in the brooder.

2. timmyiscool8

timmyiscool8 New Egg

Mar 30, 2017
    Haha... No.
    [​IMG]
    His head isnt burried anymore but he just lays there. I will determine what to do if he is still like this tommorow morning. Unless a solution is given.

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    What is the temp in the brooder? My best suggestion is to try Poultry Nutri Drench.

4. timmyiscool8

timmyiscool8 New Egg

Mar 30, 2017
    Haha... No.
    85 degrees. Could be hotter but they wander around. No huddling or staying away for the light

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    That chick looks too warm. If the temp of the whole brooder is that warm, you have a problem, because it's not possible for them to cool off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by