Unanticipated silkie chicks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChickenHermit, Mar 12, 2016.

1. ChickenHermit

ChickenHermit Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2015
    Astoria, OR
    So. These two are named Descartes and Pascal, respectively. They are named for mathematicians because they are the result of a sudden, acute bout of Chicken Math.

[​IMG]

I didn't even need to go to the feed store! But this one is further from our house, and I keep meaning to go there, as I hear very good things, and we just happened to have time and be going right by it today. And the staff were extremely friendly, and truly, it was a lovely, extremely well-stocked feed store, and it's important to support local businesses.

And yes, I do already have silkies at home- in fact, I have five of them, including a buff, and all are likely "better quality" than these little ones. And yes, I do also have 17 other bantam chicks in a brooder right now, but these little silkies are not far from the same age, and certainly are no smaller than the japanese chicks! In fact, that I already have a brooder set up means that these adorable little balls of fluff are no extra work at all! And none of the chicks I have now are silkies! I don't want my silkies to become under represented in my flock! So truly, I just had to take these two home!

Whether or not I needed to hold them in my hand and coo over them all the way home while they cuddled and did happy trills is neither here nor there. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  2. RitzHomestead

RitzHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2015
    Marble Hill, GA
    My wife has to go and get the chicken feed for me now as I cannot resist bringing new baby chicks home. We both went in today and saw that they had some bantam EE and bantam silkies and I couldn't resist. Added the six to the brooder of the already 11 chicks we have in there. Plus 15 more outside. Best addiction to have in my opinion!

3. ChickenHermit

ChickenHermit Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2015
    Astoria, OR
    I couldn't resist silkies, much less silkies AND bantam EEs! Tiny green eggs- how can you say no? [​IMG]

And it is pretty good, as addictions go!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by