Unappreciative chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by joebryant, Jul 11, 2008.

1. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Yesterday was hot, and I recalled someone's telling me about how much chickens love watermelon. So I drove to the store with nothing in mind but my buying a watermelon for chickens. I came home, straight to the kitchen, got out the long knife, cut slices, put them in a plastic bag, and went straight to the coop, bag in hand.
    I opened the coop door, went in, placed the watermelon slices on the floor, and stood waiting for the Hallelujah Chorus to begin. Nothing.
    But that was okay, they'd eat it after I left.
    This morning, I cut them up the other half, put it in a bag, went to the coop, bag in hand, ... yesterday's watermelon had not been touched...

2. ChuckenGirl

ChuckenGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2007
    Maryland :)
    wow, those chickens are rude...
    maybe there blind?

3. MaryT

MaryT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2008
    Elkton
    Maybe they don't think it is food......
    I had to sprinkle our girls watermelon with thier chick food before they would even try it..... now they go crazy for it

4. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Quote:You're right. I just now went out and sprinkled some of their food on the watermelon, and they were all over it. Thanks!

5. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Maybe they resented your crack about how expensive their eggs were!

6. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    coop: $4,000
    watermelon: $10
    feed: $40
    ----------------------------
    poop on everything: priceless

7. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    [​IMG]

Mine were like that the first probably 10 times I brought them treats. Now, I am the treat supplier! Every time I go to the run, even if it's just to collect eggs, I have to push them out of the way with my feet, because they're all gathered 'round to see what I brought them this time! They're never happy!

8. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    Joe,

With the taj mahal of coop's going up in your yard, maybe your "princesses" don't like commoner foods like watermelon. Maybe it would be best to go to Whole Foods for some arugula instead! [​IMG]

9. leasmom

leasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Mine eat watermelons but this time its been sitting out there and they don't like anything I brought them...I brought them some collard leaves and gave them some weeds and mash and they want something else. I guess they're tired of me bringing them the green stuff. Isn't it funny how they're test buds change!!!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  10. utahmethodist

utahmethodist Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    SLC, UT
    coop: $4,000
    watermelon: $10
    feed: $40
    ----------------------------
    poop on everything: priceless

[​IMG]:lau:clap:yuckyuck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by