Unasorbed yolk,and cheeping.PICS HELP!

Fancy Feather Poultry

Cooped Up
12 Years
May 30, 2007
Well, the chick hatched, but he still has some unabsorbed yolk, I put hum on a towl in the incubator on his back so he couldnt kick it off, Will he absorb the rest of the yolk or should I tear the yolk off?, it seems if I tor it off the navel will bleed heavily, I need to know so he doesnt die, or will the be fatal from the getgo, hes it to late for him to still ubsorb the yolk?.

268733235.jpg

268733234.jpg

He keeps kicking and wants to start walking, he has about a pinch of yolk left

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't take the yolk off - see if he absorbs it naturally. Is this the chick that peeped from the shell for so long?

He is still breathing and peeping he is also shaking quite a bit, I have him on his back so he doesnt accidently rip the yolk off. He is still alive the yolk is smaller than a teaspoon should it be absorbed by tommrow or today, and is there anything I can do to help. The navel has a tiny but of blood but is not oosing it.

Ok, he is still alive and cheeping, I am keeping an eye on him someone told me he wont absorb yolk if theres humdity?, I have the heat at 99 degrees and humid at 68%. Is this true, or is it if the humidtys to high he wont absorb it.

I had a chick hatch about two weeks ago that had a huge piece of yolk coming out. I was really upset, I thought it was going to die. I figured if he was going to die anyways that I had to try something to help, and if it still died than at least I had tried to help. I took the little cutie out and stuck a q-tip in some iodine and dabbed it on his navel. I put him back in the bator. I kept an eye on him and just left him in the bator for two days. He walked fine and when I took it out it acted just normal. I never touched the navel again. The yolk never sucked into the belly. It just got hard and when the chick was about two weeks old I flipped it over and looked at the navel. The yolk was just stuck to some fuzz, so I pulled it off and the little bugger lived just fine. It was almost like there was too much yolk and it's little navel just closed up behind the excess. I put the iodine on to help fight off any bacteria that may have been around. Good Luck!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom