unauthorized bank charges

arabianequine

Crowing
9 Years
Apr 4, 2010
I had an unauthorized bank charge last week for $8 and some change. I contacted the company and they responded....I asked what I had ordered. They told me lenses for an Olympus which we don't own neither me or my husband ordered this. I told them this and to refund my money back asap and they said they would but to look at who has access to our bank account information and get a new card issued. They also had are mailing address which is a PO BOX. I did email them back and told them no one has access to our bank account info but me and my husband and we have no use for the item they said was ordered, nor does their site look familiar to either one of us, and we have no reason to lie to each other over $8-9. I told them that they were lying and I was reporting them with all the info I have on them. I have the emails, their website, and their phone number.

My question is where do I report something like this?

Start with your bank. Someone is fraudulently using your account info and may have done more damage by now. It's pretty common in identity theft to make a small purchase to "test" the card and then go wild once they know it's a good card. Call your bank right now.

Yup. What Ranchhand said. CALL YOUR BANK NOW and get that card and/or account shut. Someone will empty out your account very quickly!

It was not the company that charged your account who is being fraudulent. You have a security breach. Shut that account down and the bank will let you know what your next step is. Good Luck!

My bank froze my card last week because some jerk in Nevada tried to run it for $.01. I'm so glad they didn't clean me out, but I think they would have. I wish I could get my hands on the people who did this though.

Did you use your debit card online?

Always always always use a credit card when ordering online. If you have a lot of money in your bank account and your debit card gets compromised, you can have everything drained from your account and the bank will probably not make good on the loss.

Credit card companies do watch these transactions closer. I've had my card locked or canceled a number of times due to fraudulent transactions.

It is amazing how much fraud there is out there.

we just went through that. had to pay 25 for express shipping to get new cards. still took 7 days.. they were so busy with thefts of cards.. tell your bank.. we were reimbursed for the charged items with in a week. just go in and fill out fraud forms and it should be taken care of..

File a police report as well, just in case this ID theft, not just an error. They probably won't be able to do much, but it will give you credibility if you have to fight later. Make sure you have the report #.
You may want to see about reporting it to Rob McKenna's office in Olympia (State Atty General).

Good luck, and hope it is just a mistake.

Imp

Quote:
I don't believe for a moment this was a mistake. The op's first call should have been to the bank.

Been there, done that.

Thank you all for your responses. The card was canceled and new card issued which I got a rush on shipping and should be here in 3-5 days. That company did however return the $8.38 today.

Back
Top Bottom