Unbalanced hen

MotoMoto

In the Brooder
Aug 1, 2020
Hello! I have a 6 month old hen that nearly froze to death. Brought her in, she has lost the last digit on each toe on 1 foot to frostbite. Seemed good after a week so waited until warmer day and put her out with the flock. We noticed a few days ago she is very skinny and tips over. She does hobble when you help her. Treated her for a horrible case of mites along with everyone else, Brought her back in. She's eating really well if she lays on her side and she drinks her vitamin water readily. She seems to be in much better spirits but I'm worried about her unbalance issue. Her other foot is going to lose a toe as well. Could she just be painful and that's why she's tipping over?? Mentation is normal and alert, Seems fine. I do have pain meds from my vet I can give her. I work at a vet clinic. Sorry, just want to help her.

After she froze, was she treated for hypothermia? That would be similar to treating for shock, but rewarming treatment in addition. If she never got this treatment, it could be why she's still acting like she's hypothermic.

Try bringing her inside and doing some spa services for her. Warm a big thick towel in the dryer or oven and make sure it isn't too hot to burn her, wrap her in it for a few minutes. Then give her warm Gatoraid to drink or just warm sugar water.

I understand it's been a week, but she may still be suffering effects from her ordeal.

Her body may be extremely weak from being out in the cold, therefore causing her to just be too weak to hold herself up or walk. There are other causes of chickens being unbalanced or have a wobbly gait, but I’m thinking it’s all related to her being out in the cold.

Back
Top Bottom